The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 11th December 2009   #1
The World's Strongest Scientist
(lexmiller)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: lexmiller has started on the right path
Default Bought my P. chinesis female a mate but...

...I am questioning the species of this newt. This male P. chinesis is not as "warty" as the female. I am wondering if this is a different type of newt. I will post pics later.

Old 11th December 2009   #2
The World's Strongest Scientist
(lexmiller)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: lexmiller has started on the right path
Default Re: Bought my P. chinesis female a mate but...

Nevermind...HE is definately P. chinesis. After further investigation I decided he fits the qualifications to be "warty". His warts are more visible when he stays in the water.

Anyways...he has also discovered my female!!! Yesterday they spent the entire time staying away from eachother. When I turned on the tank light this moring they were together...not amplexus....just together.

My kids have named them "Brooke" and "Jordan"...or "Lola" and "Toejam"? I don't know...they change their minds every 20 seconds.