The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 21st December 2009   #1
Aitortxu

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aitortxu has started on the right path
Default Setup for Pachytriton labiatus

Hi,
Could a pair of Pachytriton labiatus live well in a totally aquatic setup without natural plants and any movement in the water? Because the setup is in a place without any plug, and becouse of this I canīt put filters, bombs or water oxygenators.
If it is not possible, I am going to give the newts to another person.
Thank you very much, best regards.

Aitortxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009   #2
Chris Michaels
(froggy)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Setup for Pachytriton labiatus

This species is very hardy, and so with water changes it would probably survive in such a setup. However, I don't think they would thrive in it, as they are stream-dwelling animals that prefer some water movement, cool temperatures and high oxygen content in the water. If someone else could provide them with a more suitable setup, I think it would be the right thing to do to give the newts away. You could try something hardy and pond-dwelling in your tank instead, such as Tylototriton verrucosus or Pleurodeles waltl instead.

Chris

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009   #3
joost
(Joost)
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 1
Rep: Joost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.org

where are the other posts of this topic? I'm sure there were more

Old 22nd December 2009   #4
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I had to put some of my labiatus in a simple bare setup (execpt for a hide for each one) for a few weeks while I built there new tank and I can say that I saw a very noticeable difference in their health, in a bad way. They were very lethargic, lost appetite, even their color lightened up, and they were just got sickly looking. Within 3 days of putting them back into their new stream setup though they were acting normal and back to looking like their former selves.