The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 16th October 2015   #1
cephalized

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cephalized is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Axolotl foods - have you tried these?

I'm a fairly new axolotl owner - I've had a bit of experience with other types of amphibians and reptiles, but I got my first 10 month old axol about three weeks ago. I had been feeding him pellets with the occasional earthworm. I'm working on building up an earthworm farm right now so I can use those as a staple - in the mean time my dog decided that the pellets I'd bought from the breeder looked delicious and helped herself when I was at work last week.
Sooooo... I need pellets! Or something... I can't find any of the soft salmon pellets I've seen so highly recommended, and the additional shipping for Flymeat is higher than my bank account is comfortable with right now. I've come across Hikari Tropical Sinking Carnivore Pellets and ReptoTreat Delica Bloodworms Gel Food as options... has anyone had any luck with either of these products for their axolotls?

I may just bite the bullet and go with Flymeat's pellets, but I'm also interested in other "treat" options here and there.

Also, I just wrote a book... sorry. >_<;

cephalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015   #2
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl foods - have you tried these?

Earthworms are cheap and usually easy to find, and are considered the best food for axolotls :) Check local pet stores, bait shops always have them, and Walmart does sometimes as well.

Old 27th October 2015   #3
kimkat

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kimkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl foods - have you tried these?

There is also a sticky on the buy/sell USA page for pellets. Registered users even get a discount!

kimkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, bloodworms, food, new owner, pellets