The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 25th March 2013   #1
Chloe
(ebonykrow)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: ebonykrow has shown reliable knowledgeebonykrow has shown reliable knowledge
Default Breeder selling leucistic babies as 'white pearl' axolols.

BEAUTIFUL WHITE PEARL AXOLOTL - 12cm | Trade Me

A 'breeder' that doesn't now the basics. Buyer beware.

Old 25th March 2013   #2
Katie
(ZombieAxolotl)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: ZombieAxolotl has given consistently good advice and informationZombieAxolotl has given consistently good advice and informationZombieAxolotl has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Breeder selling luescistic babies as 'white pearl' axolols.

i love how they say it's from a PURE albino pairing... but then they can't even clarify that they are Albino carriers.

just not leucistic.. something special.. pearl hahahaha

ZombieAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013   #3
Chloe
(ebonykrow)

Nationality:
Rep: ebonykrow has shown reliable knowledgeebonykrow has shown reliable knowledge

I have reported the listing, although I will be surprised if they do anything about it.

Old 25th March 2013   #4
Beks
(snuggly time)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: snuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and information

In that case I have a pearl axolotl

snuggly time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013   #5
Alkylhalide
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Alkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggly time View Post
In that case I have a pearl axolotl
Me too! Whats the difference between leucistic and "pearl" lmao

Alkylhalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013   #6
pondweed

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: pondweed has given consistently good advice and informationpondweed has given consistently good advice and informationpondweed has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Breeder selling leucistic babies as 'white pearl' axolols.

The pet-shop I wrote about in my other thread had a wild-type labelled as "marbled", which I scoffed at initially, but, actually, on reflection, it's a kind of cute description, and just as appropriate if you're a customer getting without much care for specific... labels. (So long as they care for it right!)

I really like speckly ones.

Pearl is a bit of a stretch though.

pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013   #7
-o-o-o-kerry-o-o-o-
(Kerry M)

Nationality:
Rep: Kerry M has given good advice and informationKerry M has given good advice and informationKerry M has given good advice and information

Our local pet shop has signs for 'olive axolotls'

Kerry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013   #8
Chloe
(ebonykrow)

Nationality:

I agree, naming the colouring isn't all that important for your average axie owner, but the worst part is that they specify that it's not leuscistic.

This was the reply I got after I asked how she was sure they were'nt leuscistic.

'they are bred from white albino parents, but they threw some spots, which prevents them from being albinos....they are white, with light colouring & black eyes...pures are white with red eyes & no colouring...i guess they dont have a name of their own...i breed luescistics also, which are pink/grey blotched, black eyes...hence why they are not lues either...cheers'

If they weren't insisting that they're something they're not it wouldn't have bothered me at all. Haha, oh well, I hope they all go to good homes.

Old 27th March 2013   #9
Sharon
(Mortimer)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Mortimer has given good advice and informationMortimer has given good advice and information

Olive axolotls...aren't they creative... :/

Mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013   #10
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Olive is a common coloring in Australia.

This guy probably had two albino adults who were differing forms of albino and had leucistic offspring. He just doesn't know enough about genetics to know that much. I don't see why someone would 'report' the posting, though. There's nothing wrong with it.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad seller, listing, pearl, trademe, white