The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

Old 25th December 2013   #1
SkinksGalore77

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: SkinksGalore77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are more active Salamanders or Newts?

Hey Guys I am researching trying to find a good newt or salamander to get but I want to get one that will be more active. Based on your experience with caring for newts and salamanders which do you think are more active? These are some examples of species I am looking into:

Green Marbled Newt
Marbled Salamander
Red Salamander
Fire Salamander
Apline Newt
Crocodile Newt

Thanks for your help

SkinksGalore77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013   #2
stanleyc

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information
Default Re: What are more active Salamanders or Newts?

Newts are a kind of salamander. But as for your question, I really have not much experience, although I can say that marbled salamanders are very secretive.

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013   #3
otolith

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Out of your list I would say Alpine Newts will be the most active. Since they can be kept aquatically they are easy to appreciate and will inevitably begin to beg for food and react to you. Most of the other species you mentioned will need to be kept terrestrially at least part of the year where they will mostly hide under things until you feed them or turn off the lights.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013   #4
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Maybe Cynops pyrrhogaster or Hypselotriton orientalis would be a good bet, they are both colourful aquatic species and make good pets if you start with healthy captive bred animals.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013   #5
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I think newts are more active. Newts are more aquatic types of salamanders (in general) meaning they don't burrow, but swim around in a tank, which gives the viewer/owner more to see. Alpine newts and marbled newts will swim around the most, but crocodile newts will come to beg for food, roll over, jump through hoops, and juggle.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013   #6
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If you want caudates that are "active" then go for fully aquatic ones. Terrestrial species are never very active.
Its not like aquatic species are a riot of constant activity but you at least get to see them do something.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013   #7
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
I think newts are more active. Newts are more aquatic types of salamanders (in general) meaning they don't burrow, but swim around in a tank, which gives the viewer/owner more to see. Alpine newts and marbled newts will swim around the most, but crocodile newts will come to beg for food, roll over, jump through hoops, and juggle.
Your joking about the jump through hoops and juggle part right? If not I WANT SOME!!!! .

Old 26th December 2013   #8
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

They don't come trained. It takes decades of painstaking work before they'll even roll onto their backs.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Old 26th December 2013   #9
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

No offense, but why? I wouldn't do years of painstaking work just to have them do tricks. Though it would be cool!

Old 26th December 2013   #10
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

Well, as I have no life, it's nothing to me to spend two to three hours every day working them. Just yesterday one of them finally managed to throw one ball up into the air and catch it. In another year he might be able to do two, and one more year, three, and then presto, he's a juggler! It might seem like a lot of work but if I didn't do it, in three years I'd still have them, we'd all be three years older, and we'd have nothing to show for it, most likely they wouldn't be juggling at all. It's very rare for them to learn it on their own without owner effort. You have to look at the big picture and be patient for the rewards that age and wisdom bring.

Old 27th December 2013   #11
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Sooo, how do you do it? And....could you...maybe post a video....? I would love to see this!!!! maybe I will try? -Seth

Old 27th December 2013   #12
SkinksGalore77

Nationality:
Rep: SkinksGalore77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help guys.
So as far as crocodile newt and green marbled newt how much of the year are they terrestrial? When they are aquatic are they always in the water or just semi-aquatic?

SkinksGalore77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013   #13
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

Remember the singing frog from the Bugs Bunny cartoons? As soon as I whip out a camera or have an audience, he just sits there like a toad and blinks.

Seth, maybe you'd better have one of your parents read this thread with you. They could explain what's going on.

Old 27th December 2013   #14
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

In the UK we're not allowed to train our newts to do tricks because it falls under the same laws that prevent circuses from having performing animals any more :(

Old 27th December 2013   #15
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

End caudate exploitation now!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013   #16
Chinadog

Nationality:

Exactly! I'll send you some stickers and a placard

Old 27th December 2013   #17
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

If mine don't work, they don't eat.

Old 27th December 2013   #18
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Remember the singing frog from the Bugs Bunny cartoons? As soon as I whip out a camera or have an audience, he just sits there like a toad and blinks.

Seth, maybe you'd better have one of your parents read this thread with you. They could explain what's going on.
Quote:
If mine don't work, they don't eat.
Ahh geez! You are kidding me! Man, I am sooo gullible on the internet! I think I will go punch my fridge for a while. -Comes back with bruised knuckles-.

Tags
active, alpine, crocodile, fire, green, marbled, newt, red, salamander