The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 5th December 2008   #1
rnocera

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rnocera has shown reliable knowledgernocera has shown reliable knowledge
Default my axolotl's gills turned white

I moved my albino axolotl to a larger tank last night (upgraded from a 10 to a 20 gallon), and now his/her gills are white. They're normally a nice healthy pink, although when it got stressed out last night they turned bright red. It has moved around a bit since I put it in the tank, although it's mostly just hanging out in the same spot. Anyone know why its gills would be white like this? I'm thinking it had to have something to do with switching tanks, but I don't know what.

thanks,
Ronnie Nocera

rnocera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: my axolotl's gills turned white

Ronnie, gills can go white for numerous reasons. Usually, if an axolotl is sitting very still, they don't need a lot of oxygen. So the blood (which carries oxygen) doesn't flow to the gills in high volumes. So the gills can look pale. They will usually pink up when the animal is active or eating.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008   #3
rnocera

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: rnocera has shown reliable knowledgernocera has shown reliable knowledge

Thanks for the quick response! I actually fed him a worm a little while after posting that message, and his gills are much brighter. I noticed a difference in about a minute.

thanks!
Ronnie

Click the image to open in full size.

rnocera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011   #4
Nick
(runic12)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: runic12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this same problem but they don't seem to be turning colourful again, I did a water change and also moved the tank as it was getting much to warm, I'm not sure if that was a great idea as she was probably stressed and the move probably stressed her more but I think it'll be worth it to avoid the heat problem. Does anything else cause their gills to go white? I'm going to try feeding her later and see if she takes it or not, if not I know I've got a problem.

runic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014   #5
NYC Axolotl
(tipnatee)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge

my leucistic also turn white as well when I moved them from 22 gallons polycarbonate talk to 30 glass tank but it seem to me that maybe the glass tank provide more oxygen and strong but very slow water movement do to mini in tank filter I added it so they have not much of stress since they are 6 of them before in just 22 gallons tank with nice mild cooling soft natural light from window which means that I have no need for tank light timer.

I vote for the good flowing oxygen but then again that only correct if their gills are full long flowing feather like (at least close to half inches in length) any thing shorter than quarter inches then it's a big problem ( fatigue lost appetite) can also low temperature then add aquarium salt if that is the case

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, axolotl's, gills, turned, white