The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 23rd May 2016   #1
Sanguis Lust

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sanguis Lust is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Axolot fighting- missing gills

I have two axolots in a 20 gallon long aquarium. ( Mudkip and Chernobyl) I got Chernobyl recently a little smaller than Mudkip. I notice they been fighting when I saw gills missing the next few days my poor Mudkip has no more gills left, he seems healthy other wise . The youngest one seems to be more aggressive and faster than my oldest , and they fight over the same house, though I have two for them. I been feeding them on opposite ends of the aquarium just to keep that little devil at bay. Will my oldest be ok? Should I divide them?

Sanguis Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016   #2
Donna
(Donna001)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Axolot fighting- missing gills

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I would separate them for now. You can buy or make a divider for use in your tank.
Silly Axolotls
When they get closer to being the same size you can try re-introducing them again, unless their behaviour while the divider is in the tank suggests that they really don't get one. As they mature they get less prone to biting, so you may have to wait quite a while before they can be together again.
You will also need to keep an eye on the older axolotl with the missing gills to ensure that it doesn't get an infection. Ensure that your water parameters are excellent and this will help him to remain healthy while the gills regrow.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote