The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 20th November 2018   #1
Corey
(albear28)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 6
Rep: albear28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Enclosure for eft fire belly newts

Can anyone suggest a tank design for fire belly efts?

albear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018   #2
Seandelevan
(seandelevan)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: seandelevan has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Enclosure for eft fire belly newts

Get java moss....and lots of it.

I have some fish tanks with this stuff. And in 10 gallon tank I put down large clumps of it and kept it damp. Doesn’t have to be soaking wet. On top of that I placed leaves, rocks, and bark. Worked for me.

seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019   #3
Cliff
(Canecorsonewt)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge

I like to leave them in water, place java moss in a plastic container with about 2 inches of water. Force them to stay aquatic,doing now with 5 newts that just morphed and i did it with the parents. I offered mom and dad no land and never have. i had mom and dad shipped to me when they were eggs.

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Shawn.jpn
(ShawnJPN)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: ShawnJPN is an unknown quantity at this point

I got 4 right now that just don't like water whatsoever. They are still young so maybe I can get them to start going aquatic, but on the bright side it's easier to feed them live food on land. Just leaving isopod/springtail culture with them to hunt and forage.

I had them aquatic for a little bit but any kind of food in the water they simply couldn't catch or didn't want.

ShawnJPN is offline   Reply With Quote