The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 8th April 2016   #1
Punjiljh

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Punjiljh is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I'll newt ? Shiny skin... Fire belly newt

Hi I own 3 Chinese fire belly newts 2 from a pet shop sadly and one captive bread
My captive bred and one of my pet shop ones are doing fine and are 90% aquatic, swimming and active
However one of the pet shop newts is considerable smaller and spends all of his time wondering around the land section of my set up. He eats live worms and blood worms regularly. I sprayed him a few times a day to stop him from getting dehydrated some times he dipped his belly and legs in the water on his own terms too. So I assumed he was just a happy newt not as old as my other two newts maybe a juvenile.

When feeding him today he was by the water side and fell in to the water when he was trying to bite the worm he quickly darted to the other side of my tank and he looked like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	46167
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2-1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	46168

Is this shine ? I've heard about the shine before and was just wondering.
Should I be worried and is there anything I need to do to help him

As I'm writing this he is climbing up a plant to reach the surface of the water.

Thank you

Punjiljh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016   #2
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: I'll newt ? Shiny skin... Fire belly newt

It's nothing sinister, just air bubbles stuck to his skin. Most newts get it if they've been out the water for any length of time, they'll soon disappear if he stays in the water. Although he's been spending time on land, he looks very healthy to me. :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016   #3
Punjiljh

Nationality:
Rep: Punjiljh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'll newt ? Shiny skin... Fire belly newt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
It's nothing sinister, just air bubbles stuck to his skin. Most newts get it if they've been out the water for any length of time, they'll soon disappear if he stays in the water. Although he's been spending time on land, he looks very healthy to me. :)
Thank you alot! Your a great help and someone that's always looking to help !

Punjiljh is offline   Reply With Quote