The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 27th October 2014   #1
0range

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: 0range is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl pooping out sand

I recently got another axolotl that i tried to add to my tank, but after my larger adult axolotl tore his leg up I moved him to another tank with a clear bottom. After about a day i noticed a large amount of sand coming out with his poop, do axolotls normally eat a lot of sand and i never noticed or is this abnormal?

0range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014   #2
AxolotlLove327

Nationality:
Rep: AxolotlLove327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl pooping out sand

Poor little guy! Now, I'm no axolotl expert, but chances are your bigger axie is still in the cannibalistic stage, and that's why he was so aggressive. Do you now if the new axie's previous home had sand? Where did you buy the new axolotl? Hope he feels better and regenerates quickly!

AxolotlLove327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014   #3
axys

Nationality:
Rep: axys has started on the right path

if its an adult it should be out of the cannibalistic stage but if the tank mate is smaller thats when most attacks occur.

to ur actual question about sand, yes they eat sand. not because they think its food but if they eat their food off of the sand since their mouths function like a vacuum it sucks up some sand as well. I dont think tis dangerous as long as your axolotl is not really small. Thats why people are urged to use sand instead of gravel because axolotls will ingest pretty much anything tht fits in their mouths so its better to have tht something be small and easily passable through their body rather than a larger gravel tht will do some damage or even kill the lil guy. So as long as its fine aquarium sand or good play sand u should be fine.

axys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014   #4
0range

Nationality:
Rep: 0range is an unknown quantity at this point

The axolotles okay luckly, but he did lose a leg and a gill he's still eating a ton though. In the new tank their isn't any sand just a clear bottom and he pooped a little more today, the sand is very fine and it looks like it goes right through him.

My older one is an adult so he should be past that stage, maybe it's from me always hand feeding him. I'm going to buy a tank divider and separate them untill they are the same size.

0range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014   #5
fireball99

Nationality:
Rep: fireball99 has started on the right path

Hi Orange,

My axie's been passing sand for a while now. We've had him for over a year and when we drop pellets into the tank he usually catches most of them when they pass his head, but the ones that end up on the floor he hoovers up and usually takes in some sand at the same time. He's never been ill or upset by it so I wouldn't worry.

I have bought a little shallow feeding dish now though just to try and reduce the amound of sand he's eating. The only thing now is, he needs to learn that the food is on the ground and he can't play snap at the food anymore! It's taking him a while...

fireball99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014   #6
AxolotlLove327

Nationality:
Rep: AxolotlLove327 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry that I gave incorrect advice, but I did not know that the axie is an adult. There's no need to bash me whoever gave me a mean comment.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
AMurry24537

Nationality:
Rep: AMurry24537 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first got my axolotl, he had been housed in a tank with sand, while I had him in what was essentially a bare bottom (I use ceramic tiles to allow them a little more purchase while walking). He "leaked" (I can't really call it true pooping since it didn't all come out at once) a LOT of sand for the first few days, but after that he was fine.

AMurry24537 is offline   Reply With Quote