The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Old 6 Days Ago   #1
coleonyx

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: coleonyx has shown reliable knowledgecoleonyx has shown reliable knowledge
Default Well, it was inevitable........

After managing to get lucky and find a nice female A. Opacum earlier in the year when they were extremely hard to come by some more became available a couple of hours away so I'm picking up another two this weekend. Have a terrarium set to hopefully breed these so my female will be going in that, am I tight in thinking these two youngsters are both males?
Click the image to open in full size.

Was hoping for a M/F/F group with the females living in a separate larger enclosure but these are the only two available. I already have a spare terrarium set up for a lone male as I've read males can become nippy and stressed when housed together.

coleonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Well, it was inevitable........

Good luck! I don't think they have been bred in captivity very often.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #3
coleonyx

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: coleonyx has shown reliable knowledgecoleonyx has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Well, it was inevitable........

Thanks! I followed a post on here to set the terrarium up for the female(s). I came across a very cheap long terrarium a while ago for a silly price (fully set up with a Komodo double dome and Exo furnishings) so I snapped it up with half a mind on more Salamanders!

Here's the pic the shop sent me, is there a trick to embedding pics on this site as they never seem to work for me?
https://i.ibb.co/km1Wnd7/A-Opacum-pair.jpg
Both look like males to me but I'm no expert, the rear one looks a little duller and plumper with a stubbier tail but that might be perspective and lighting, they're both very young at the moment. My female is definitely a much duller grey colour.

Cute little things though!

coleonyx is offline   Reply With Quote