The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Old 24th May 2007   #1
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Courtship behaviour in juvenile Dobros.

Ok...so i was about to feed the rabid dobros the other day and noticed one doing something weird. I looked closer and saw that it had the "cat" position, perpendicular to another one. It was making fast movements of the tail against the other ones head (not exactly tail-fanning) and it moved the body too. Ive seen it happen twice. Has anybody else noticed this behaviour in juveniles??? They are just 8 cm long...too young to even show any sexual dimorphism. Is it a sign of territorialism, or maybe a very early sign of a young male??? That would be great hehe, since the day i got them i had a weird feeling that one was going to be male...it would be nice to be right. Btw...its the one that had a yellow stripe thats behaving like this.

Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007   #2
ravenous

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 21
Comments: 1
Rep: ravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and information

Dude, you watch your newts waaaaaaay too much. If I posted about all the weird stuff mine did.... well.

Old 25th May 2007   #3
David Dallmann
(david_d)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: david_d has started on the right path

I also noticed behaviour like this with young T.kareliniis and t. carnifex. I think it is mating behaviour which you can see often in this genus aniyway there is no mating season, especially when they are well feed and after cold water changes.
Greets David!

david_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007   #4
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If i knew about all the weird stuff they do and what it means then i wouldnt use this forum...
Just trying to learn and avoid mistakes....
Id rather be annoying than a terrible keeper...
And yes...i spend too much time watching them....specially cause im a newbie and i feel that watching them closely is the best way to know if everything goes well....

Old 25th May 2007   #5
Coen Deurloo
(coendeurloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Rodrigo, my T. dobrogicus were already sexually mature when they were 10 months, this is very common with T. dobrogicus, even though the eggs mostly won't be super quality.

coendeurloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007   #6
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thank you for the info Coen.
Ive been observing them today and im pretty convinced its territorialism or an agression of some kind...it always ends with a quick bite and the two involved swimming away. Ive seen two of them do it , and it was specially frequent after i fed them. With the excitement they get very agressive and they started running away from each other and doing the cat thing. I guess this is their normal behaviour for "get out of here this food is mine".
Ill keep an eye for any sign of sexual maturing though, but still 8cm sounds way too young...i bet yours were bigger at 10 months hehe.

Old 13th June 2007   #7
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Just thought i would post a couple pics since i managed to snap a couple of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050309.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	510   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050304.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	511  

Old 13th June 2007   #8
Mark
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Thats typical cat-buckle/tail flicking breeding behaviour associated with Triturus. I dont think its aggression. They may be young but they learn about the birds and the bees fast. You sometimes find that excitable males cant help indulging in a bit of breeding behaviour during feeding. There cant be much room for thinking in those tiny brains and the section for yay! FOOD! is right next to oooh, hot lady! and it must get confusing. Typical males really

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007   #9
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

i see..but i think its weird that ive seen all three of them do it. The one pictured is the one that does it the most, and for longer. But i trully doubt they all are males....specially since i was told there was a higher percentage of females and it was risky to buy just three cause i was most likely getting females. So if they are all males this is what i call the "odds". I think the one pictured is a young male ....the other two....time will tell.

Tags
behaviour, courtship, dobros, juvenile