The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 22nd December 2004   #1
rickard

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Found this Cynops ensicauda ensicauda(?) in a petstore today.

Click the image to open in full size.

It was kept in a heated tank with a bunch of other ensicaudas, so i'm not sure if it will make it. My apartment is only 19-20C so i tried to give it a few hours to cool down.

I think its a C.e.e and not C.e.p, since the rest of the ones in the pet store was C.e.e and it would be unlikely to have several ssp. in one shipping batch.

Since its new and a juvenile i keep it separate from my other ensicaudas.
/
Rickard

Old 22nd December 2004   #2
ralf

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Rickard,
beautiful animal, good luck with it. Most probably you are right in determining the subspecies, as only C.e.e. displays the fine white speckling barely visible on the dark colour between the dorso-lateral and lateral stripes. Might be a female. Do you have a companion?

Old 23rd December 2004   #3
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Interesting. I would second the opinion on a female. Looks like it has a lightning bolt running down the side Click the image to open in full size.

Old 23rd December 2004   #4
rickard

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks for the comments! I would also like to see how the offspring turns out, although my other ensicaudas look quite ordinary.
If its a female i have one male with some white speckling, so that might be a suitable pair. If its a male then i have i female without speckling, but with strong "unbroken" dorso-lateral stripes.

Right now i'm keeping it at 18C and it seems to be doing fine, searching the tank for food Click the image to open in full size. I gave it some bloodworms last night and it ate like nothing happend. Should the feeding frequency be the same as for the adults, or should i feed it more often?
/Rickard

Old 23rd December 2004   #5
rickard

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Two more pics of the same animal, back and belly.

/
Rickard

Tags
coloration, cynops, ensicauda, unusual

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 10 (Set)

Chamaeleo, chezr, Chinadog, DavD, End, mizzerman, Molch, Shadow, Spectacled90