The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 21st July 2013   #1
Krispen
(Krispen)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Krispen has shown reliable knowledge
Default Fishless Cycling

I've cycled numerous tanks with fish in them without any problems, but am struggling with my 75 gallon axie tank. Through "circumstance" I ended up with 7 juvies all at once. I had a 40 gallon breeder that was almost completely cycled and them moved up to a 75 gallon. Kept all my substrates water and filter (added another filter as well). Well I keep getting stuck at unsafe nitrite levels and needing to change water frequently. Employee at LFS says this is prolonging my cycle. Finally I took everybody out in large Tupperware with clean water and hides, added heater cranked up and closed hood. Going to attempt to speed up cycle and finish fishless.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrites-2
Nitrate-3

I hear I need to "feed" tank with ammonia daily as it continues to cycle.

Any advice?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374444282.277736.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	32157

Thanks

Krispen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013   #2
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Fishless Cycling

Are you using blackworms, by any chance? I have had problems with blackworms increasing nitrite in tanks, sometimes catastrophically.

You can "feed" the tank with fish food, rather than directly with ammonia.

Old 24th July 2013   #3
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Just back off on feeding a little. Don't do to many huge water changes. With juveniles in that big of tank it should come around pretty quick.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013   #4
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Can you get some of the 'tank starter' stuff with the required bacteria in it? I used the pearls available over here to speed up the initial cycling, and it took 3 weeks to get established.

auntiejude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013   #5
Diana
(ess1dk)

Nationality:
Rep: ess1dk is an unknown quantity at this point

I used my axolotls poo to cycle my 55 gallon.

ess1dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013   #6
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

I would add all the waste water from your tupperware tubs back into the tank. No need for any additional ammonia sources!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013   #7
Krispen
(Krispen)

Nationality:
Rep: Krispen has shown reliable knowledge

Hey guys- thanks for input- I'm adding waste from my guys and a little ammonia as well- today 0.0 ammonia prior to addition, 5.0 nitrites and 80 nitrates!!!! Going to do a 50% change tomorrow and continue to watch. I did also start a bio stability treatment- Stability by Seachem. On day 6 of 7 days of treatment. I hope the end is in sight. Do not feed blackworms- just bloodworms and earthworms.

Krispen is offline   Reply With Quote