The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Kurisu

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kurisu is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Help Axolot Not Pooping? Maybe Stressed?? IM A NEW MOM

Hello!

Iím a new axolot owner Iíve read a few things before buying one. My axolotl is named Lucifer (Luci). Iíve have her for a week now and I havenít seen her poop in five days? This is a little worrying for me. I feed her 1 cube of blood worms a day. I keep her temperature around 65-60 degrees sometimes it goes up to 70-75 but I make sure to but an ice bag in there and cover her tank till the temperature drops down. My cats also like coming by my 10 gallon tank to stare at her and play around.

Iíve been noticed she might be a bit stressed is there a reason why? Her gills look pointed toward. That and her back is a bit arched or bent when sheís just chilling on the ground. I have a filter, fake plants, and two rocks. She used to have a mini house to hide in but it broke outside when I was cleaning the tank. Iím trying to find her another one. Iíve tried giving her a mug but she doesnít seem to like it.

Iíll attach some pictures of her sheís fairly small like about 2-3inches.

Kurisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Kingfisher

Nationality:
Rep: Kingfisher has started on the right path
Default Re: Help Axolot Not Pooping? Maybe Stressed?? IM A NEW MOM

Does your tank have a substrate or bare bottom? Is your tank cycled? What are your water parameters?

For cooling, the top should be open it helps to cool it, a solid lid traps the heat. Instead of ice get a regular house fan to blow the top for cooling. When mine were in a temporary 10 gallon tank I clipped a 6" desk fan near by and it cooled the tank by 5įF

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
honeydew

Nationality:
Rep: honeydew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help Axolot Not Pooping? Maybe Stressed?? IM A NEW MOM

Hello! I wish I could give more advice but I thought I might try to ease your mind a little. My axolotl recently went 5 days without pooping as well and I was panicking even though he acted normally, and he eventually passed it with no problems. Just keep in mind that itís not always a scary issue if they donít go for a while! If the problem persists I hope somebody else will be able to give you some better advice.

honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axololt care, axololt poop, axolotl, axolotl food, axolotl help, axolotl stress, help a member out, new axolotl, worried