The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 10th May 2019   #1
mackenzie1115

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mackenzie1115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axie injury?

My axie has been tubbed for about a month while her new tank cycled, but before I took her out of her old tank, she had gotten some sort of mouth injury. I think she ran into one of her hides and scraped it pretty good. She was tubbed for a month or so and tonight is the first time i put her in her new tank, and she seems to be doing really well, except her mouth still looks rough. How long does it take for them to heal when they have injuries? What can i do to help her? I really donít want to tub her again but i will if thatís the only option i have. She still eats and doesnít act like sheís bothered by it at all.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E8B12486-2FC8-4F3B-B4E1-94152D2F5998.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	55420   Click image for larger version

Name:	A709F914-5C16-42E1-90F7-6C486EEEB695.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	55421   Click image for larger version

Name:	044A647C-4185-49A7-ACC0-7D42B7DA3918.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	55422  

mackenzie1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Axie injury?

If she's doing fine, just take out the decoration that injured her and let her heal. It could be a few weeks but if she's eating and pooping she's doing fine.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axie injury?

Oh that's a scary looking wound! Do as Otterwoman suggests, remove any decorations that may have caused it. Keep the water nice and cool and be on top of water parameters (0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrates around 40ppm) and you should see it heal over the next few weeks. Indian almond leaves in the tank can help out healing, but it can also drop pH quickly so if you use them make sure to test pH a few times a week :)
I'd love to see the healing progress!

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote