The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 4th April 2019   #1
HesNotAFish

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: HesNotAFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Axolotl owner question

Greetings. Our new family member is an axolotl named Cabbage. I am confused as to how much I should be feeding the cute little guy. He is about 3 inches long. I've been feeding him Hikari Tropical sinking carnivore pellets that I got from the store. The sales person there said to feed him one a day (I think). He was eating one a day for a week or two, and I read somewhere that you should feed them until they are full. Then I switched to two pellets a day. Yesterday he was acting like he couldn't move his legs and was very still. He had a large poop later, and he's pretty active tonight.

Can someone please confirm how much he should eat? I will incorporate some worms into his diet, but for now I just want to make sure I'm not underfeeding or overfeeding him.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

HesNotAFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: New Axolotl owner question

It varies between individuals but you want to feed until they stop accepting food. My 3 inch juvenile will eat a pea sized clump of live blackworms twice a day.
I would suggest not using superworms as the exoskeleton can't be digested by axolotls. Try and find some earthworms, especially nightcrawlers.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019   #3
HesNotAFish

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: HesNotAFish is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing if the pictures show up this way:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190403_175339.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	55245   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190403_175327.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	55246  

HesNotAFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

What a lovely little axolotl! I suggest taking out the sand until it is 5 inches long as juveniles can get impacted on sand, even if you hand feed/dish feed. They are fine on barebottom, which is what I have at the moment.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote