The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 1st May 2016   #1
EversoriZ

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: EversoriZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Random Bacterial Bloom or Sand Particles?? Help with cloudiness please

Hello everyone,

I've had my little Axies for about 7-8 months now and thankfully they have grown up quite nicely and healthy :)

Lately though, my water has been really cloudy. Now I've had to change their little caves around as they grew up and last time I changed from 2 separate caves to just one big hide. (Simply because they liked the last caves WAY too much and it was rare when they would come out of there lol)

I have a 20 gallon long tank with fine sand as substrate. I use an Aquaclear 50gal filter with the sponge(just changed this one last week), Seachem Purigen instead of carbon pad, recently added a fluval polishing pad to keep the water coming out of the filter as crystal clear as possible, and of course the little biomax sac to keep the cycle going. Temperature is always around 60-65F degrees.

I do a weekly water change with Seachem Prime to dechlorinate the water, and feed my Axolotls pellets every 2-3 days depending on how hungry they look. And yes I know the pellets also foul the water a bit but trust me they REALLY like the pellets lol so they stay in the water for maybe 1-2 hours tops while they devour them.

Just did a water reading today and came out to Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrates around 30-40 which means the cycle is pretty much set. Though I still use a bit of Seachem Stability when I do water changes just to make sure the cycle stays set.

So the BIG question is... why in the heavens is my water so cloudy? Also it seems to clear at random times but comes back once in a while. For example I've noticed that sometimes when I feed them frozen blood worms and they take awhile to eat them, the water will clear a bit... which seems very random to me O.o
Any tips/help is really appreciated! :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_150333.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	46567   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_150347.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	46568   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_150352.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	46569   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_150403.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	46570  

EversoriZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016   #2
Sully&Zeppelin
(sully)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: sully has started on the right path

When you replace the filter components do you change them all at once? It looks like a bacterial bloom. It's probably not the sand if you've had it in the tank for a while.

sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016   #3
EversoriZ

Nationality:
Default Re: Random Bacterial Bloom or Sand Particles?? Help with cloudiness please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully View Post
When you replace the filter components do you change them all at once? It looks like a bacterial bloom. It's probably not the sand if you've had it in the tank for a while.
I did change the sponge and purigen at the same time yes, then added the polishing pad. But I thought the biomax was the one that helped hold the cycle.

Old 2nd May 2016   #4
Sully&Zeppelin
(sully)

Nationality:

Okay well that could be it because a lot of bacteria is held in other parts as well. And with the aqua clear you can rinse the sponge for a really long time before you actually need to replace it. But yeah still sound like a bacterial bloom

Old 2nd May 2016   #5
EversoriZ

Nationality:
Default Re: Random Bacterial Bloom or Sand Particles?? Help with cloudiness please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully View Post
Okay well that could be it because a lot of bacteria is held in other parts as well. And with the aqua clear you can rinse the sponge for a really long time before you actually need to replace it. But yeah still sound like a bacterial bloom
Aww man so I'm guessing for now just waiting for the filter to sort of build up again is my best bet to get rid of cloudiness?

Old 2nd May 2016   #6
Sully&Zeppelin
(sully)

Nationality:

It should sort it self out in a few days. If not we can re-evaluate :)

Old 4th May 2016   #7
Chris
(AxolotlChris)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Your feeding your tank bottled bacteria which is not needed since your tank is cycled (also unlikely it helped anything in the first place). Your cycle will continue to function as long as ammonia is present from your Axolotls (which it will be). Biomax by Fluval doesn't keep the cycle going, it just provides further surface area for bacteria, the Fluval website also claims it 'controls ammonia and nitrAte' not sure how but I would have thought the cycle would control the ammonia just fine and weekly water changes would control the nitrAte.

You shouldn't remove multiple pieces of media from your filter at once, this could crash your cycle by removing large colonies of bacteria. If it is a bacterial bloom it should settle in time

Just my 2 cents!

Old 5th May 2016   #8
EversoriZ

Nationality:

Thanks for all the tips :)
But yeah from now on I'll be more careful with the filter media and also not use Stability as much anymore. I just get worried when I do water changes that the cycle could crash you know?
Like tomorrow I'm supposed to do a water change but I dont know if I should wait a bit longer while the bloom settles down, which it hasn't yet, and just monitor the water levels. Or actually do a regular water change you know?

Old 5th May 2016   #9
Chris
(AxolotlChris)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

I wouldn't use Stability at all, I've seen more problems using it than not. Your cycle will not crash unless you remove all your water and change filter media incorrectly.

Only particularly large water changes could affect your cycle. If your doing a 30% water change per week then you will have no issue with your cycle. As long as you are monitoring your water parameters you know where your cycle is. You should perform a water change to lower your NitrAte to 10-20ppm, then monitor how long it takes for your NitrAte to rise to 40+ppm, this way you roughly know how often you need to be performing water changes to keep the NitrAte in check.

Old 21st May 2016   #10
EversoriZ

Nationality:

Hey everyone, just wanted to give you an update on the tank. Just this morning I found the water super clear :) I have never seen it so crystal clear so I wanted to share it with you guys.
Thanks for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160521_133658.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	46878   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160521_133621.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	46879