The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 19th May 2008   #1
firedragon92

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: firedragon92 has started on the right path
Default mixing Axolotls with frogs

would you be able to mix axolotls with frogs that are large enough not to be eaten or will they also nip the axolotls gills

cheers

firedragon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008   #2
Daniel
(Daniel)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: mixing Axolotls with frogs

I would strictly advice against any mixing of species; there have been several stories and threads around here discussing this problem. Have a look at Species Mixing Disasters if not done already.
A frog being big enough not to get swallowed by an Axolotl (for instance African Clawed Toads) would readily be able to do some big damage to Axolotls.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008   #3
Dawn

Nationality:
Rep: Dawn has started on the right path

I saw a large Golden Albino aquatic toad in with a large axolotl at the weekend (at a pet shop).
They both were unharmed but I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008   #4
Abrahm
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I saw a large Golden Albino aquatic toad in with a large axolotl at the weekend (at a pet shop).
They both were unharmed but I don't think I'd want to risk it.
Pet shops tend to do this all the time to save space and money on housing. Many times the animals don't interact due to bad husbandry, stress or overcrowding.

Housing frogs and axolotls together is a bad idea as someone will more than likely be attacked. There are also few fully aquatic frogs and many of those are chytrid carriers which may infect the axolotl. Most of the aquatic frogs are tropical and prefer higher temperatures than axolotls which means poor housing conditions for at least one animal.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008   #5
firedragon92

Nationality:
Rep: firedragon92 has started on the right path

Thanks for your help i definatly wont be doing that and will just stick with the axolotls in the tank

cheers

firedragon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016   #6
Bikebiddy

Nationality:
Rep: Bikebiddy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have my axolotyls in an outside pond and at this time of year the frogs go there to breed. NZ native frogs are rare but Australian bell frogs live here in the North Island. It's really nice to see them together but it is sad to think the axis would eat any eggs or tadpoles. I didn't realise frogs could hurt axis

Bikebiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, frogs, mixing