The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 2nd June 2018   #1
Viking

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pipa pipa Underwater frogs (toads)

I am thinking of ordering a group of this unusual frog. What set up do I need?
it sounds like they like to be warm. It sounds like they are a challenge to induce to spawn.

Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018   #2
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and informationRoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and information
Default Re: Pipa pipa Underwater frogs (toads)

Ooooh I love those guys! Are you getting mating pairs? Does breeding them have a negative impact on the female because of how the young live inside her? I’m sorry I don’t know much about keeping them, I’ve onky seen them in zoos! I did not even know that they could be sold as pets. Where would you be ordering them from?

RoreyRoreyRorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018   #3
Viking

Nationality:

A friend in of my frog club importing a group of fish. The price is not high. Frogs do not mate for life in my understanding. I just need to buy enough to get boys and girls..

Old 3rd June 2018   #4
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and informationRoreyRoreyRorey has given good advice and information

Fascinating! Would you sell the froglets? I’ve heard Pipa Pipa have a high success rate in breeding because of they carry the eggs and offspring for so long.

Old 4th June 2018   #5
Viking

Nationality:

Sure, but the size available suggests they are young. It takes three years to mature. It will probably be a while.

Old 4th June 2018   #6
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:

It takes that long to mature? Strange! My African Clawed Frog was tiny when I got him and him after just three months he began loudly calling. I had assumed it would similar for Suriname toads since they are also pipidae. How long do they live?

Old 4th June 2018   #7
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:

Also, this got me very interested in them and I did a little research on them, mostly talking to a few herpetologists and local fish stores I found that sell and keep them(I forgot to ask them about lifespan) I can pass the care information they gave me onto you if you would like?

Old 5th June 2018   #8
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:

Just at least one thing I have heard is that breeding is actually very difficult because they need to move a lot during the mating so most breeders have had better luck breeding them in tank with a depth of at least four feet, and the breeding can take as long as 36 hours.

Tags
pipa pipa