The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

Old 16th July 2019   #1
David339

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: David339 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens larvae just transformed

I have one lil guy who has been out of the water for 2 days. His gills are gone, he is still green in color though. How soon can I put him in with my other red efts that were his size last year? I read he will go about a week without eating now? This is my first experience with the larvae and I got him to transformation.

David339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens larvae just transformed

How much smaller is he? WHat are the other ones eating?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019   #3
David339

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
How much smaller is he? WHat are the other ones eating?
The new one is about 1/8 inch wide by an inch long. My other 4 small ones were this size last fall, now they are about 3/8 to 1/4 inch wide by 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. I have others that are 3-4 inches long kept separately. Currently my new eft is kept in a small container on his own. They are eating spring tails and fruit flies.

Old 17th July 2019   #4
David339

Nationality:

The just transformed one is aprox. 1/8 inch wide by 1 inch long, the other I have are about twice this size. 1 1/2 to 2 inches long and 3/8 to 1/4 inch wide. The bigger ones are eating springtails and fruit flies. Currently I have the lil guy in a very small container 4 inch wide by 6 inch long and 3 inch tall.

Old 18th July 2019   #5
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I'm thinking if they're eating food so tiny they would'nt eat another tank mate that size...but then if they do I don't want to be the one who said it was OK!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2019   #6
David339

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
I'm thinking if they're eating food so tiny they would'nt eat another tank mate that size...but then if they do I don't want to be the one who said it was OK!
I had the other red efts last year this size and they were with 3 inch long efts and they didn't eat the little guys. They're mouths are a lot smaller than you think based on the earthworms my 3 inch efts would eat/ not eat. I'm going to put him in with the other lil guys tonight.

Old 18th July 2019   #7
PhilbertCoffee

Nationality:
Rep: PhilbertCoffee is an unknown quantity at this point

they will be fine together

PhilbertCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019   #8
David339

Nationality:

They are definitely fine together. I didn't know if I had to wait before taking him out of that 1/16 inch of water I had him in. He was green not the normal orange/red color of an eft. He's starting to change color now though. My first run with the larvae.