The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
IamLeeCB

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: IamLeeCB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeding a Baby Axolotl

Iím the recent owner of a 4-5 month old Axolotl (Iíve named him Pebble) and I know this is probably already on here somewhere, but I couldnít find it! Basically Iím trying to figure out how often I should be feeding Pebble, at the moment Iím just feeding him once a day with frozen brine shrimp (I tried pellets too but theyíre too big for him at the moment) and heís eating really well! The only thing is that later In the day (I feed him around 8am when I wake up) he is back in his feeding spot asking for more. I know that Axolotls can be piggy sometimes, just like any other animal, but it makes me a little worried Iím not feeding him enough.

As a side note, he is currently regrowing the gills on his right side, as one of his siblings ate them at some point before o got him home, so I donít know if he should be eating more while heís regrowing them or not? He seems perfectly happy, swimming around and exploring his tank, but I tend to worry about these things...

For reference, hereís a picture of him to gauge his size
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE9EC49D-E36D-4A4F-8C3B-0BA9A882E682.png
Views:	4
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	56075  

IamLeeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Feeding a Baby Axolotl

If you can get your hands on some live blackworms I highly recommend them. I fed my babies on that until they were big enough for normal worms. Frozen food is often lacking in nutrients so any kind of live food is always good (and much easier for us).
Whenever I have had regrowth or injuries I always try and feed more as they do need a bit more energy in their bodies.
When mine were littles I fed them twice a day, so give that a go! Some even like 3 smaller meals a day. Try and few things and see what works for both of you :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
IamLeeCB

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: IamLeeCB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeding a Baby Axolotl

Thank you! Iíll try feeding him twice a day, and try to get my hands on some live food soon!

IamLeeCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl baby, feeding axolotls