The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 21st September 2018   #1
Tye

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tye has given good advice and informationTye has given good advice and information
Default Is this frog ok?

I spotted this frog in a tank and took some photos because I thought it looked hilarous. However after I left I started to wonder if it was healthy at all. The name plate said it was an African Clawed Frog and googling that didn't help as there were images with both rounded frogs and not. All the other animals were in great body health, I just have no idea about frogs.
I do not own this frog. I do not know it's water parameters and I couldn't spot a thermometer. It was in a planted tank, maybe 15-20 gallons, HOB fliter, small feeder goldfish were in with it. Substrate was gravel or rough sand.
Is this what they're supposed to look like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180921_141112.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	54349   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180921_141108.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	54350   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180921_141430.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	54351  

Tye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Is this frog ok?

I never kept frogs but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he's not well.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018   #3
Xavier
(Sith the turtle)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 150
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If you haven't guessed already, that is definitely not ok. The frog seems to have an extreme case of bloat, or is extremely obese. It also shouldn't be kept with fish, as they usually disrupt water quality, and a healthy frog would not hesitate to attempt to eat the fish, which is unhealthy for the animal anyways. This article is for newts, but should still be helpful judging by the case of this animal...

https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/bloatEDK.shtml

Old 22nd September 2018   #4
otolith

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

That frog has some really serious edema issues. Id say it is past the point of no return.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018   #5
Tye

Nationality:
Rep: Tye has given good advice and informationTye has given good advice and information

Thanks everyone. I thought that might be the case. In the moment I thought it was just a funny frog but after I left I thought something might be seriously wrong.
I'm assuming the fish were in there as a food source. I don't like the idea of keeping fish with amphibians, food source it not.
I'm probably going to email the director and see if the animal can be removed from display view. So others who see it don't think it's healthy or good.

Tye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2018   #6
otofrog

Nationality:
Rep: otofrog is an unknown quantity at this point

The frog has bloat. I don't know if its serious or not, could it swim well or did it float like a balloon? Ask the guy to consider putting some aquarium salt and stress coat+ (what i did to treat one of my frogs, although it wasn't that bad), and also to give it a better diet. Goldfish and bloodworms are the best way to give your frog bloat.

otofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2018   #7
Matt O
(mroconno)

Nationality:
Rep: mroconno is an unknown quantity at this point

When stressed, Xenopus frogs can acquire infections like mycobacteria or Aeromonas from the water; organ failure like kidneys, liver or heart can also cause coelomic fluid accumulation. When they get this bloated it affects their ability to eat because everything inside gets pushed out of place. The frog should definitely visit a qualified exotic animal veterinarian.

mroconno is offline   Reply With Quote