The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Enji

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Enji is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Clear/White slime?

I'm a first time axolotl owner, and recently I noticed a clear slimy buildup on the walls of my tank and on the tank decorations, as well as a slowly rising ammonia level. I read somewhere that it could be bacterial outbreak, but I have no idea how to fix it! I've done a mass water change, and that fixed it but it came back the next day. I even tried moving the tank to a less sunny area of the house. I know it's not a cleaning issue, because I do a small water change and vacuum every day. Please help me, I'm extremely worried for my axolotl and don't want her to stress because of the water levels/all the activity that's been going on in her home.

Enji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently excellent advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently excellent advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently excellent advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Clear/White slime?

Is the tank water cloudy?
Bacterial blooms aren't harmful so I would just concentrate on fixing that ammonia. What water conditioner are you using? I use prime because it detoxifies ammonia (my water source has some ammonia so I need to do this). I would do small water changes every day or two, probably 15% to drop the ammonia.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently excellent advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently excellent advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently excellent advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Clear/White slime?

Oh also, do you know what is causing the ammonia rise? Is there any food or poop hidden under any decorations?