The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Photos & Pictures of Enclosures, Vivaria, etc Exhibit your setups here!

Old 16th December 2019   #1
Kansamander

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kansamander has given good advice and informationKansamander has given good advice and informationKansamander has given good advice and information
Default New way to use spray foam

I had sprayed pond-safe foam on the bottom of a tank, and then decided to take it back out. What came out was smooth on one side, bumpy foam on the other side.

What can be done with this is it can be trimmed/thinned, and placed upside down when adding layers of soil to a new vivarium. If you place it against the glass (clean glass under first) and carefully add dirt over it, it makes an excellent viewable cave. My smallmouth salamanders are rarely seen, but occasionally I'll find them in once off these caves. I've dug tunnels for access as well. Just a fun idea for used foam.

Also, I used a block of it, set on supports, to make a floating planted island. There are a couple of places where water can seep up into it, and my moss, grass and assorted tagalongs are growing great in it. The roots of the grass extend through it into the water, which is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_104731.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	56226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_102819.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	724.4 KB
ID:	56227   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191115_222958.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	804.4 KB
ID:	56228  

Kansamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2019   #2
Medusssa32

Nationality:
Rep: Medusssa32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New way to use spray foam

What a cool idea! Thank you for sharing

Medusssa32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2019   #3
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

How do you know what kind of foam is pond-safe? I like this idea.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2019   #4
Kansamander

Nationality:
Rep: Kansamander has given good advice and informationKansamander has given good advice and informationKansamander has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
How do you know what kind of foam is pond-safe? I like this idea.
Great-Stuff has some that sells in spring and summer at Lowes specifically for outdoor ponds and waterfalls. I've used it for multiple projects without issue. It says 'safe for fish' which usually means amphibians too. It's black, so it blends well and looks more natural.

GREAT STUFF Pond & Stone 12 oz Insulating Foam Sealant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AQ0FVC..._zgW-Db6WAYQZV

That bottom photo is upside down somehow

Old 19th December 2019   #5
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Thanks! I"m going to try this idea.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2019   #6
Nat1

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Nat1 has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansamander View Post
My smallmouth salamanders are rarely seen, but occasionally I'll find them in once off these caves. I've dug tunnels for access as well. Just a fun idea for used foam.
Wow nice! I also got the idea a few years ago to use spray foam to be able to observe Ambystoma better. But I didn't take used foam - I sprayed it directly in the terrarium, and misestimated The thing came apart at places where one pane of glass meets another!

Nat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2019   #7
Kansamander

Nationality:

Here's my other tiger tank using it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191221_233417.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	625.7 KB
ID:	56241  

Old 23rd December 2019   #8
Kansamander

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat1 View Post
Wow nice! I also got the idea a few years ago to use spray foam to be able to observe Ambystoma better. But I didn't take used foam - I sprayed it directly in the terrarium, and misestimated The thing came apart at places where one pane of glass meets another!
I did that as well, but in a cheap aquarium. Ended up breaking the glass!

The thing I like about used foam is the flat top (once flipped), and it can be trimmed to suit need.