The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 24th April 2015   #1
Newt27

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Newt27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When do fire belly newts become aquatic

Hello i have two fire belly newts about 5 cm and i was just wondering when they become aquatic.

I have a 10 gallon tank with mostly water and quite a few rocks and such to climb out of the water on. I do have a filter

Newt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015   #2
Aaron
(ThoseNewtsTho)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

You can often "persuade" them to go aquatic by keeping them in a shallow aquatic setup with lots of live plants and eventually starting to increase the water level every couple weeks

Old 24th April 2015   #3
Newt27

Nationality:
Default Re: When do fire belly newts become aquatic

Thanks but i put a piece of real wood in there and it started getting white moldy stuff on it so i have avoided live plants

Oh and i also wanted to bring up that one of my newts gets bubbles on his back when he goes underwater but the other doesnt get bubbles

Old 25th April 2015   #4
Aaron
(ThoseNewtsTho)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

What does moldy wood have to do with live plants? Live plants will help improve water quality and I personally think they look a lot nicer.
Newts adapted to terrestrial life that almost never touch water will often look shiny/have some small bubbles on them

Old 25th April 2015   #5
Newt27

Nationality:

Ok well is there anything that live plants would have to have? Ex: special lighting?

Old 25th April 2015   #6
Aaron
(ThoseNewtsTho)
European Newt Group

Nationality:

Just regular LED lights that dont put out much heat would work fine. Plants like elodea/anacharis, java fern, java moss, and hornwort are good options for plants.

Old 25th April 2015   #7
Newt27

Nationality:

Thanks. They all need "high quality aquarium fertilizer" and some need co2. How do i get those in my tank?

Old 25th April 2015   #8
Aaron
(ThoseNewtsTho)
European Newt Group

Nationality:

Dont use any fertilizers in your tank, just get some low light plants, the ones I listed work fine without anything added

Old 26th April 2015   #9
Newt27

Nationality:

Whats best for live plant substrate

Old 26th April 2015   #10
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Plants that don't need a substrate are easiest. Elodia (Pondweed), Java ferns, Java moss and Hornwort all do well just floating about, most Petstores will stock some, or all of them so they are easy to find as well.
If you prefer things to look a little neater, you can attach the plants to stones or driftwood with fishing line, but there should always be some floating plants for the newts to rest in just below the surface.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote