The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 27th March 2009   #1
salyluvr

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: salyluvr has started on the right path
Default Tiger salamander not eating

I have a 4 year old male Tiger that is refusing food.
I have had him for about 2 months or so now.
He's on coco fibre, temps are 60-65 and the humidity is at 70%
He was eating normally up until about week ago now he is refusing crickets, wax worms, nightcrawlers and a pinky.
Daytime he's in his hide or burrowed and early morning he is sometimes on top of his hide or in his water bowl.
I was told that there was an appetite stimulant that I could give him but was hoping for any other helpful advice here.
Thank you all for your time.

salyluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009   #2
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Tiger salamander not eating

I personally don't recommend coconut fibre and I've never kept them on this. Regarding the humidity, it sounds pretty wet - do you have good ventilation for him?

Old 28th March 2009   #3
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Tiger salamander not eating

What kind of lid is on the tank? Has his appearance changed at all? Is his current temperature warmer or colder than it was over the past 2 months? Does he look fat or thin? Was he previously eating pinkies?

Tags
eating, salamander, tiger