The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

Old 10th November 2013   #1
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Talking Dicamptodon Tenebrosus pictures :D

Is there any Dicamptodon enthusiasts anymore??? seems like there are none. Anyway I will share some photos. If you want more info just ask . Enjoy!!! -Seth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	33734   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	33735   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	33736   Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	33737   Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	33738  

Click image for larger version

Name:	183.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	33739   Click image for larger version

Name:	213.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	33740   Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	33741  

Old 10th November 2013   #2
Chinadog

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Dicamptodon Tenebrosus pictures :D

So is that animal living aquatically without gills or is it in the process of morphing? I've only seen a few pictures of terrestrial adults that look a bit like tiger salamanders.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013   #3
Niels D
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I love Dicamptodon. Yet another specie that's on my wish list. I love large species the most.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013   #4
Thrillbilly

Nationality:
Rep: Thrillbilly has shown reliable knowledgeThrillbilly has shown reliable knowledge

Cool pics, thanks for sharing them.

Thrillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013   #5
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Thumbs up Re: Dicamptodon Tenebrosus pictures :D

Your welcome guys!
Chinadog,
The ones that are lighter brown with some mottling are terrestrial but the ones that are darker and solid brown are larvae. the pic of the one in the stream is a quit small larvae. Dicamptodon are similar to tiger salamanders but are limited to western coast regions of the united states. Dicamptodon are debatably the larges terrestrial species in the world, so it was quit a privilege to find the two terrestrial adult females, both of which were 11 inches long! Unfortunately it is illegal to keep Dicamptodon where I live.
Also some may become reproductively mature and still stay in the larvae stage, this is called neotony. In fact it is more common to find the neotones than the terrestrial adults. I was lucky enough to find these two terrestrial females guarding there eggs in the well that we get our water from! Thanks for the comments guys, I'm actually kind of surprised that so many people replied because it seems like nobody likes Dicamptodon anymore to be honest. -Seth

Old 11th November 2013   #6
otolith

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Great pictures and and excellent herping trip! I've never found more than a single adult at a time. I mostly find D. ensatus where I herp and am lucky enough to have pretty large populations right near my home (and sometimes in our woodpile). Neotenic adults are much less common here than in the PNW as many of the creeks dry up in summer. Thanks for posting!

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013   #7
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I have 3 Dicamptodon tenebrosus. 1 Terrestrial adult I adopted from another Caudata.org member and 2 paedomorphic adults I collected as larvae in California in 2012. All are 10 inches/25 cm + in size. I find tigers tend to grow longer but the Dicamptodon are more ruggedly built with much bigger heads. And they have biting teeth - ouch!

Old 12th November 2013   #8
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Yah all of these were caught with in a mile of my house, so with in biking distance. Yes like I said it is debatable which one is bigger, I personally think that Dicamptodon are bigger from what I have read. Also the two terrestrials are actually different individuals, I think they were sisters because they were almost identical. Both 11 inches. Both brown with a little mottling. -Seth