The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 25th January 2014   #1
Rebecca
(Dugnbeck)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Dugnbeck has shown reliable knowledge
Default Indian almond leaves

Can anyone tell me their experiences with these as antifungal treatment or just an additive to a tank as a preventative? Also, I noticed they are graded A-D. Is grade important?

Rebecca

Dugnbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014   #2
Hayley
(HayleyK)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: HayleyK has given good advice and informationHayleyK has given good advice and information
Default Re: Indian almond leaves

As an anti fungal treatment, I would prefer salt bathing until it's completely gone and then a tea bath to soothe the sick afterwards. I think it suits better as a pretentative rather than a treatment, as it helps tighten the pores of the axolotl, making fungus harder to penetrate their slime coat (that's another reason if prefer salt over tea for treating fungus). You can leave the leaves in the tank and it can help slime coat issues and such too.

As for the grading I'm guessing "A" would have stronger properties than those of a grade "D". So I think grading is just the issue of quality.

HayleyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014   #3
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Ebay explanation of grading can be found here. It depends on whether the leaf is intact or not. Grade A is a whole intact leaf, grade D a bit tatty with holes/tears etc.

Old 26th January 2014   #4
Hayley
(HayleyK)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: HayleyK has given good advice and informationHayleyK has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
Ebay explanation of grading can be found here. It depends on whether the leaf is intact or not. Grade A is a whole intact leaf, grade D a bit tatty with holes/tears etc.
Interesting. Does it affect how to releases tannins and stuff? Is it better to have whole leaves or tattered?

HayleyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014   #5
Beks
(snuggly time)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: snuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and information

I used Indian Almond Leaves in my axolotls tank when he had a bacterial infection. He had 3 wounds and the tip of his tail had been bleeding too. We were so worried that with the infection and open wounds he would get a fungal infection too. Luckily he didn't and he's fully recovered now. I'd like to think the leaves helped!

snuggly time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014   #6
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Whole versus tattered... I'm fairly certain this would have little or no effect on the release of tannins.

Old 28th January 2014   #7
Rebecca
(Dugnbeck)

Nationality:

Thanks everyone. I had read the grading info but was still unsure how it would pertain to axies since it seemed to be general or even written for fish breeders. I think I'll go ahead and order some to have on hand in case I need them!!!

Rebecca

Old 28th January 2014   #8
Rebecca
(Dugnbeck)

Nationality:

I had originally thought of using them as a preventative but after a ton of research I noticed they also cause PH to drop. I already have to supplement their water as it it always a little more on the acidic side of neutral. My goal was to find a preventative

Rebecca

Old 28th January 2014   #9
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Grade of leaf is not very important for the uses we're talking about, it's more important in fishkeeping and breeding. I got the cheapest ones, they work fine.

The pH drop is due to the tannins being slightly acidic, but thats how they work. In a large axie tank it should not affect the pH significantly.

Old 29th January 2014   #10
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

You could try to harden your water with limestone/coral or bird-grit in a stocking hung in your tank or in the filter.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote