The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fieldwork / Fieldherping Photos, accounts and other information related to documenting and discovering amphibians and other beasties in the real world.

Old 12th July 2014   #1
Keith
(Snakes0415)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Snakes0415 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What state has the biggest diversity of salamanders and newts?

I'm curious to see what state has the biggest diversity of salamanders and newts. I mainly wanna know so I can plan my next vacation there lol. So if some one could help me out that'd be great!

Snakes0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: What state has the biggest diversity of salamanders and newts?

I think probably Virginia.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014   #3
Vern5384

Nationality:
Rep: Vern5384 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty sure you want to go to western NC. PM me if you do and I can help you out with some tips.

Vern5384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014   #4
FrogEyes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Tennessee and South Carolina tie with 57, Virginia is 4th with 51, Georgia in 3rd with 55.

With the addition of subspecies and splits, Arkansas will probably jump to about 50 and California from 44 to about 100. Many species in many genera have splits or undescribed species pending, including species in all of the top 11 states [Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, California, Texas].

I did not review all states, only those associated with the more diverse portions of the Appalachian uplift, and the escarpments they connect to in Texas.
CNAH: The Center for North American Herpetology

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014   #5
Vern5384

Nationality:
Rep: Vern5384 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I counted 57 in NC, as well, according to CNAH (I'm sure AmphibiaWeb lists more).

Vern5384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014   #6
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

If you like reptile as well, then I think that Alabama has the most combined. I am unsure of exactly how accurate this is, but according to a book that was published in the 80's there are about 134 species of reptile and amphibian combined in Alabama. -Seth

Old 15th July 2014   #7
FrogEyes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Georgia tops that list as well, at 170, with California a close second at 165. However, even adding just the undescribed salamanders pushes California to close to 250. There are many species pending revision or upgrade. These will only increase a state count when more than one occurs in a given state [Such as prairie and northern ringneck snakes in Minnesota]. Count on many state counts increasing, especially California. Note for instance the recent recognition of two species of western pond turtle, two species of rubber boa, two species of rosy boa, granite/sandstone night lizards, Sierra/coast newts, long- and short-tailed sharptail snakes, four additional legless lizards, the pending three-way split of California tiger salamanders, a three-way split for California ringnecks, etc. Florida's count is 'only' 146, but that state has well over 100 introduced herps, many documented as breeding. It also has undescribed snakes, sirens, dusky salamanders, possibly worm lizards, etc. I doubt they'll beat CA.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014   #8
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogEyes View Post
Georgia tops that list as well, at 170, with California a close second at 165. However, even adding just the undescribed salamanders pushes California to close to 250. There are many species pending revision or upgrade. These will only increase a state count when more than one occurs in a given state [Such as prairie and northern ringneck snakes in Minnesota]. Count on many state counts increasing, especially California. Note for instance the recent recognition of two species of western pond turtle, two species of rubber boa, two species of rosy boa, granite/sandstone night lizards, Sierra/coast newts, long- and short-tailed sharptail snakes, four additional legless lizards, the pending three-way split of California tiger salamanders, a three-way split for California ringnecks, etc. Florida's count is 'only' 146, but that state has well over 100 introduced herps, many documented as breeding. It also has undescribed snakes, sirens, dusky salamanders, possibly worm lizards, etc. I doubt they'll beat CA.
Whoao?! Rubber boa's are now two species? As well as California tigersbecoming three species? I didn't know about that!

Old 15th July 2014   #9
Tristan Clark
(Herphunter1998)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: Herphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and informationHerphunter1998 has given consistently good advice and information

Tennessee... south carolina may have as many but the temperatures make a big difference when finding stuff.

Herphunter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote