The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 20th December 2017   #1
KylieDay

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KylieDay is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation HELP! Itís my first Axolotl..

So, 5 days ago I bought an axolotl, his name is Toothless (I know cliche but my fiancť picked it out) and Iím super worried. He hasnít eaten a thing (heís a juvenile not even 2 inches long) Iíve tried pellets, flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen krill, live earthworms, live night crawler, live mealworms, and Iíve even tried a carnivore blend. Nothing. And now heís floating. He has been for 3 days. I push him down into his plant but he has to come up for air and then canít get back down. Iím freaking out. I have 5 reptiles, 4 cats, a pit bull, 2 rodents, a beta sorority and now him. I go above and beyond to do anything for my animals I just donít know where to turn here. Iím so scared, and my pet store hasnít helped at all., Prior to getting him I set up and cycled the tank. Temp has been at 18.3c and highest at 19.3 today. No traces of nitrate or nitrite, ph is stable, ammonia isnít a problem, and the hardness is perfect. His water is absolutely as perfect as It gets. I have a low flow filter thatís adjustable and heís in a 10 gallon tank. Iím using a very fine sand substrate, with plenty of hides and 2 plants for him to play in. Please help. I canít watch him like this anymore, I really need someone.

KylieDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017   #2
ollie
(dumb bug)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: dumb bug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP! Itís my first Axolotl..

Axolotls tend to have high death rates at young ages, so since it is two inches, it is hard to tell if it is/will stay in good health since it is so young. It's best to buy axolotls when they are 3-4 inches so you know that they don't have any defects or health issues/potential problems. i hope everything goes well for you.

dumb bug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axololt, axololt food, axololt help, axolotl advice, axolotl baby, axolotl floating