The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 15th July 2018   #1
Chloe
(kumamon)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kumamon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extremely sick axolotl

So I went on holiday for a week and left extremely clear instructions for the people looking after my axolotl to follow - however they didnít and he is in the worst condition - I think Iím going to lose him.

All his gills are completely curved forward, his skin is peeling, there are red spots all over him, his tail is curved and shriveled, he looks swollen (under his chin, and his hind body), and I think I saw him throw up...?

I did a 50% water change as soon as I got home and found him like this - non of his food or poop was cleaned up and just left to rot basically.

I will be testing his water soon but I can only assume itís horrible - so I have dosed the tank with Prime.

Please help, I donít know what to do? He looks so sickly... I donít even know if I can help him and think euthanising him would be best?? Of course Iím going to do all I can before that step. I just donít know what!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F1EF59E-D187-4C7A-807C-CCF13B14D0A8.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	53808   Click image for larger version

Name:	A0A4671F-4A62-43EF-AC04-24749775D48A.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	53809   Click image for larger version

Name:	FFA9478B-F96B-464A-90E2-C3B3D20728D8.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	513.6 KB
ID:	53810  

kumamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018   #2
Tye

Nationality:
Rep: Tye has given good advice and informationTye has given good advice and information
Default Re: Extremely sick axolotl

Can you tell if there's something lodged in your axolotl's throat?
It could just be swollen, but there could be a food item or regurge in there.

Tye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Check your temp and water parameters. As Tye said see if anything is lodged in his mouth.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018   #4
Chloe
(kumamon)

Nationality:
Rep: kumamon is an unknown quantity at this point

Iím not sure how to check if anything is lodged in his mouth. How do you check..?? His condition has gotten significantly worse and I donít see him getting any better. His back legs have also become extremely swollen and his tail has curved into like... a circle. Iím lost with what to do here...

kumamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2018   #5
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Use some plastic tweezers (not sharp ones), in the mouth and try and lever it open. Looking straight in you should be able to see if there is anything.
I would make a fresh container of dechlorinated water and pop him in. Keep the water cool, I don't know if you should fridge him possibly? Keep him in the container with daily 100% water changes.
Were you able to test your tank water? Parameters are probably off as you said so you want to get it sorted before putting him back in.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, help axie, sick axie, sick axolot, sick axolotl