The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 28th July 2004   #1
hayden

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hello all. I have a pair of Paddle Tail Newts, and the female is very Plump in her belly even though she eats much less...I think she is full of eggs and was wondering if there is anyway to tell for sure and if there is how can i make it easier for them to breed. They are fanning their tails in her face. I know this is flirting with other newts but Does it apply to Paddles.

Old 28th July 2004   #2
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hayden
what temperature are they at? Provide earthenware flower pots upturned with a door just big enough for the female to fit through in the rim. She will lay round the inside rim and then guard. I've not done this myself, but I knnow someone who does it fairly regularly. Raising the eggs can be quite difficult.
Tail fanning is a courting activity
Watch for aggression
Chris

Old 28th July 2004   #3
hayden

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have a hollow stump that Is barely big enough for them to get in...They are at room temp. umm prolly 68-70. Ill get a thermometer. I will try the Flower pot idea.

Old 16th August 2004   #4
hayden

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Chris micheals what do the eggs look like?

Old 16th August 2004   #5
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The eggs are fairly large. There is a pic of Phenotype A eggs here: http://www.livingunderworld.org/gall...chytriton/spp/
Chris

Tags
breeding, paddletails

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 12 (Set)

anothernewtfan, bisani 10, Bowl of seeds, carsona246, chezr, Chinadog, Fer, GreenDragon, jAfFa CaKe, Joana, Logan, Shadow