The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Old 7th February 2012   #1
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default First N. kaiseri breeding attempt

No females came into breeding condition for me so far this year. Males are tail-fanning like crazy. Ah, life.

Anyone getting eggs?

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012   #2
Thomas
(ozarkhellbender)

Nationality:
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: First failed breeding attempt

The following message is from Jackson:

"Sorry Linus. I haven't gotten eggs yet either. Though both sexes are in condition and interested in each other/ tail fanning, I just don't know if i'll get eggs this time around. Next year will be a good year for both of us regardless!
In a last ditch effort for mine to breed i'm going to bring them in to warmer temps after the next cold spike or two I have down here. It's been a really warm winter.....of all years. Life eh?
I have to speak through thomas here.....one of my few loyalists remaining. ha."

Old 8th February 2012   #3
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I guess that was a bit cliquey of me to assume people would know what species, apologies.

Jackson! Good to know I'm not alone in my failure! Odd thing with my group is that I clearly have 3 males, but 3 look like they haven't even reached maturity at all yet even though they are very close in size to the mature individuals. I placed them terrestrially for about 3 months, kept at about 50-55F.. then offered water slowly. They're all aquatic now. The whole group is on the young side, so I have no doubt we'll succeed next year. Thomas and Alex, thanks for getting Jackson's message to me

Can a mod please re-name the thread to: First failed Kaiseri breeding
and delete the third and fourth posts to clean the thread up?

Old 8th February 2012   #4
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogEyes View Post
My thoughts exactly. Next thing you know, the forum will be full of "BP" keepers who assume that everyone knows that species they're talking about when they mention their "caramel"!
I know itīs a joke but still it makes my skin crawl.....brrrrrlllll.......

Linus, isnīt it a bit early in the season to despair? Males usually go into breeding mode right away, but females tend to take a bit more time to get ready and in fact may delay laying quite a bit.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012   #5
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

well I have 3 clearly visibile males, and the other 3 don't show any signs of maturity whatsoever, even though they are of comparable size and have adult coloration.

Old 12th March 2012   #6
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Ended up running into Johhny, we swapped a male for female. I think the female was fertilized by the time she hit the floor of the tank ;

Click the image to open in full size.

Can you see it?

Old 4th April 2012   #7
Jeff305

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Jeff305 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First failed N. kaiseri breeding attempt

This is super cool I'm in the market for some of these and plan on starting a breeding project with them. If anyone has any for sale I'm definitely interested in purchasing them. Also if you guys have any tips in the set up or enclosure's I would greatly appreciate it. Photo's of the tanks would be great! Also do you guys keep them terrestrial mostly until breeding time or mostly aquatic?

Thanks!

Jeff305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012   #8
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Old 16th May 2012   #9
daedae

Nationality:
Rep: daedae has shown reliable knowledge

Rad! I love these newts, gorgeous creatures! Keep this updated, I'd love to see them grow up!

daedae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012   #10
otolith

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Congrats! How many larva do you have so far?

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012   #11
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I'll keep updating! I have about 50 strong larvae. They've been very easy to raise, I had a few losses early on which hatched quite prematurely (I think I was rough with the basting) but 100% of the larvae that made it to gills are now forming back legs.

Old 1st June 2012   #12
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Not the best photos but nonetheless, starting to color up now;

Old 25th July 2012   #13
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Almost time for morphing:

Old 25th July 2012   #14
jane1187

Nationality:
Rep: jane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: First N. kaiseri breeding attempt

Your juveniles look lovely. Assuming you still have about 50 that means you have something like 0.5 to 1% of the whole world population in your house! Staggering isn't it?

Keep up the good work!

Old 25th July 2012   #15
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Haha, I think their captive numbers have gone up exponentially over the past few years. Still proud to cater to this species! Can't wait to do it all again next year.

Old 25th July 2012   #16
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane1187 View Post
Your juveniles look lovely. Keep up the good work!
I will pass the compliments onto the newts tonight. Thank you