The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 5th November 2010   #1
brit

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bit of advice needed please!

Hi,
I am new to the world of axolotl, apart from the one i remember in the science lab at school .
I have a 24" x 15" tank set up to the correct parameters right substrate, pH, no direct sunlight, room temp water etc, i used the info on here for that. My axie is 4mths old and a leustic, i am currently feeding him bloodworm, chopped up fish and the odd koi pellet. He is mega alert n happy and of course i am now addicted is it ok for him to be on his own or will he get lonely? if so do i get another one and how do u introduce them? is my tank big enough for 2?

Loads of questions sorry but any help and pointers would be appreciated

brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010   #2
Steve Richards
(morphyrichards)

Nationality:
Rep: morphyrichards has given consistently good advice and informationmorphyrichards has given consistently good advice and informationmorphyrichards has given consistently good advice and informationmorphyrichards has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Bit of advice needed please!

It's fine for him to be alone, they aren't social creatures (although they do seem to get on well with other axies who are about the same size as they are).

You should consider feeding earthworms as the main staple food. Try reading these pages too ...
Axolotls - Feeding
Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
housing

morphyrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010   #3
Eric
(Shizeric)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org

That tank isn't large enough for 2. Room temperature is relative...as most rooms aren't the same temperature so you need to make sure the tank is the correct temperature with a thermometer. As STEVE says you should begin feeding earthworms and only occasionally use bloodworms or pieces of fish as treats. I'm pretty sure Koi pellets aren't appropriate.

Last edited by Shizeric; 5th November 2010 at 18:44.
Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010   #4
Steve Richards
(morphyrichards)

Nationality:
Rep: morphyrichards has given consistently good advice and informationmorphyrichards has given consistently good advice and informationmorphyrichards has given consistently good advice and informationmorphyrichards has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizeric View Post
As Richard says .
Steve

Last edited by morphyrichards; 5th November 2010 at 18:51.
morphyrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010   #5
brit

Nationality:

Well i consider myself 'told'. Koi pelletes however are very similar nutritionally to the axolotl pellets so i am happy enough with those, i have tried him with bits of earthworm n he didn't take it. (i say 'he' i have no idea but he looks like a boy to me lol). My brother-in-law gave him a spider when i was on holiday and apparently he loved it, is that ok? I live in uk so it was just a bog standard house spider nothing too big or venomous! Is ther any kind of 'live' fishing bait suitable as i live very close to a bait shop, don't worry i don't mean maggots but other things! Sorry for all the questions i am just very keen to give 'him' the best life as i do with any of my pets!

Old 6th November 2010   #6
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If im not mistaken koi pellets contain vegetable matter which makes them completely inapropriate for axolotls.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010   #7
brit

Nationality:

i will look into that further thank you.