The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
wremmrg

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: wremmrg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best filter for 55 gallon aquarium

I am setting up a 55 gallon aquarium for three axolotls, and am wondering what the best filtration would be. Any suggestions?

wremmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Best filter for 55 gallon aquarium

I would suggest a canister filter. It's the easiest option and if you use a chiller it'll hook up to it easily. I don't have a particular brand to recommend but for my turtle I use a aquamanta. I also have a small sunsun on my juvenile tank but once I have it filled up I'll probably also hook up a HOB. I also suggest using a sponge filter as well as a canister or HOB.
I would just stay away from any undergravel or internal filters :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
wremmrg

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: wremmrg is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently using a canister filter for my 29 gallon, that I happy with. Will have to see if they make a larger one that will handle 55 gallons.

wremmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

You shouldn't have an issue finding one for a 55 gallon tank. My turtle tank is a similar size and the canister I'm using isn't the biggest model.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote