The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
MinaNZ

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MinaNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Odd bent tail... should I be concerned

Hi All

We recently adopted two Axolotl's and I noticed one of them had an odd bend in it's tail. At first I thought it could be growing oddly, but our neighbor suggested I look into it as she had never seen that before. I have kept an eye on it and it's eating well, swimming, walking and seems happy. There are no other signs of stress or discomfort. Should I be concerned?

Click the image to open in full size.

MinaNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Odd bent tail... should I be concerned

It's got a spinal deformity, they are culled by most breeders if spotted.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Oh wow yes it looks like a spinal deformity. If it's acting as a normal axolotl I wouldn't be concerned but just watch it for any issues. I'm not sure if life expectancy is any different for axies with this issue.
How long is this one? It looks small, may be the pic, but if it's under 5 inches keep it away from substrate. The other one in the pic also looks larger so it may nip at this little one, I would separate them. A breeder box might work depending on the size of this one :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
MinaNZ

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: MinaNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Its about 10cm and they stay away from each most of the time. At times they sit next to each other, they seem to be very gentle. In the last few days I've found it hard to feed it. When I feed by hand it has trouble find its balance and not floating away. Also noticed it likes to sleep on its side. Its not overly active but can swim when it wants to. Just hoping its not in pain.

MinaNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If you can get her off that substrate until she's about 15 cm that's the best for her. If you have her separate you could also use a lower water level and you might find it easier to feed her.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote