The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 8th September 2019   #1
firegabe333

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: firegabe333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filter question!

Hi! I have had my wild type axolotl, Nochtli, for 4 months now. He recently turned 1 year old, and he seems pretty darn happy. Iíve been using a Marina Slim Filter for his 20 gallon tank, and I recently came across some information about a sponge filter being a better option. I was wondering if it would positively impact his health if I switched over? And if I did, what are some good sponge filters to consider, and how does one go about maintaining a sponge filter?
Thanks in advance to anyone who answers me!

firegabe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2019   #2
Ekmanor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ekmanor has started on the right path
Default Re: Filter question!

What size or model is your filter? What makes you think a sponge filter is better? When I kept axolotls they were pretty messy. Iíve always kept smaller aquariums (no more than 40 gallons in most cases). And Iíve always used HOB filters that seem to get the job done. I use polyester filling for pillows (I always washed thoroughly and made sure no dyes or chemicals were used) the filter cartridges for filters are a joke imo but thatís just me- nothing wrong with them I just prefer not to use them. I also always took a sponge for aquariums and made a little cut in it and stuffed it onto the filter intake. That way babies wouldnít be sucked into the filter and it also gave more room for beneficial bacteria to grow. Iím one of those people that believes ďif it ainít broke- donít fix itĒ so I wouldnít worry about your filter as long as itís doing itís job. Does it seem to bother your axolotl at all? I personally donít see any health benefits but again Iím pretty biased towards HOBs lol. Hope I helped.

Ekmanor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filter media, filter type