The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 19th May 2013   #1
Lex
(Lexolotl)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lexolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl - Difficulty eating worms?

I've been feeding my axies blood worms up until a couple weeks ago, when my local Petsmart started carrying red wiggler worms.

My axolotls are around 5-6 inches long, and readily accept blood worms.
However, whenever I feed them red wigglers they'll maybe eat a half of one (I cut them in half.) and then spit out the rest.

Could it be because they're not use to it yet? Should I wait until they're older/bigger to try feeding them worms?

Lexolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013   #2
Alkylhalide
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Alkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Axolotl - Difficulty eating worms?

Honestly i think it may be because red wigglers release a bitter tasting substance that a lot of axies dont quite like.
I feed mine earthworms/nightcrawlers and rinse them in water.

Have you tried cutting them in half then rinsing them wit water before giving them to your axies? Try to rinse some of the bitter taste off them. I hear about a lot of axies not taking red wigglers for that reason but try rinsing them and see how that works.

Alkylhalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013   #3
Beks
(snuggly time)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: snuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and information

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...glers-try.html

Just as Alkylhalide said.

snuggly time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013   #4
Alkylhalide
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Alkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and information

Thank you! I didnt even know there was a thread on red wigglers!

Old 20th May 2013   #5
Lex
(Lexolotl)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

Usually I cut them in half and then let them sit in a bowl of water while I feed my axies. Maybe I'll let them sit a little longer to make sure that the "bad taste" goes away. Or maybe I should rinse them under fresh water?

Old 20th May 2013   #6
Alkylhalide
Prolific Member

Nationality:

It doesnt hurt to try to rinse under fresh wAter. You never know. Worth a try i think

Old 21st May 2013   #7
Lex
(Lexolotl)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

I will give that a try and keep you posted on how it goes! Thank you for your help!

Old 21st May 2013   #8
Gailgirl

Nationality:
Rep: Gailgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine are the same size, and readily accept red wigglers, only if they're small pieces. I cut them to 1/2 inch pieces, because then they snap them up, and they eat faster that way. I haven't had problems with the taste, just the size. And I started them out on the better tasting earthworms first, so you'd think they'd turn up their noses at the taste.

Gailgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013   #9
Lex
(Lexolotl)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

I thought that it was maybe because they are so use to eating blood worms?
It was almost as if they didn't like the wiggling. I take them out to feed them in a separate container, and cut the worms into thirds or so. I left the worms in there and came back about 15 minutes later and the worms were gone.

I've also fed them guppies, and the fry of my african cichlids and they've eaten them just fine.

Old 30th May 2013   #10
Krispen
(Krispen)

Nationality:
Rep: Krispen has shown reliable knowledge

I really wanted my axies to eat the red wigglers since I already breed them in a compost bin. I soak them and then rinse them. They eat them and then throw them back up later! Lol!!! Oh well.

Krispen is offline   Reply With Quote