The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 3rd February 2006   #1
steve

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi i was wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with tape worms in Necturus. One of my Mudpuppies has been slowly losing weight over the last few months, but i have been putting it down to a combination of the lower winter temps and a bit of competition between the other three puppies. However today i noticed a small patch of fungus has formed on the underside of the neck, this was treated with an anti fungicide and painted using an iodine based disinfectant (Tamodine). Then approximately two hours later i noticed a large tape worm coming out of the puppy's mouth, in fact with some help around a foot of worm was removed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to an amphibian safe wormer?
steve.

Old 5th February 2006   #2
rheann

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Oh my goodness, that is terrible!

I've never experienced this, but I think what you should do is take your Necturus to the vet along with the others. From what I know and I could be wrong is that Necturus are wild caught, and usually not treated for parasites or illness before they are shipped. I'm probably very wrong about this.

I had a Necturus for a while, and when I got him he was so thin and would not eat. He eventually died, it was sad.

It might be difficult to find a vet who knows anything about Necturus, but they still might be able to help find a proper medication for you.

Good luck Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
tape, worms

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 2 (Set)

Jables, thatdudegaming