The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 23rd December 2010   #1
Cassi
(Lemi)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lemi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What exact filter would you recommend for a tank that is 1' by 2' and/or one that is 1' by 3'?

I had an axolotl but he passed away several months ago and I recently found another, but I no longer have the filter I had, which didn't work well anyway, but I don't know what brand, make, or model or whatever I need to help keep the tank clean between weekly partial water changes.
Also, for those who know what plants to keep, is the amazon sword a viable plant? I read somewhere of someone keeping it with axolotls and he has yet to uproot it.

Last edited by Lemi; 23rd December 2010 at 09:21.
Lemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010   #2
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: What exact filter would you recommend for a tank that is 1' by 2' and/or one that is 1' by 3'?

If you're doing weekly water changes then I wouldn't even worry about a filter and just add an air stone.

Amazon swords are on OK plant for an axie tank as long as it doesn't get too cold. This plants optimal temperature range is 22-28c but it can handle temps down to around 16c without any issues. My plants leaves will start to brown and drop once the temps drop below 10-12c.

Old 23rd December 2010   #3
Cassi
(Lemi)

Nationality:
Default Re: What exact filter would you recommend for a tank that is 1' by 2' and/or one that is 1' by 3'?

The only reason I'm concerned is that it smells a bit and it's not even been a week.

Old 27th December 2010   #4
Melissa
(mekkha)

Nationality:
Rep: mekkha has shown reliable knowledge

Was your tank cycled before putting the new axie in? Also do you know if the one who died had some kind of illness?

mekkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010   #5
Cassi
(Lemi)

Nationality:

My axolotl died in May and I was very thorough in cleaning the tank, so I doubt that there is a disease, though I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by cycled.

Old 27th December 2010   #6
Cassi
(Lemi)

Nationality:

*As to the COD of the last, I believe it just got too hot for him, but I also belive I am better equipped to deal with this new one better as I did some research into cooling the tank that I didn't need to before since he was in the basement. He died soon after we moved into a new house and on the day of my grandmother's funeral.

Old 5th January 2011   #7
ax

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: ax has shown reliable knowledge

You NEED to read up on the nitrogen cycle - Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Unfortunately I suspect it is what killed your other axolol. The smell is ammonia, and unless you are careful I think this might die as well.

>}(o_o){<
ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011   #8
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Too much cleaning (or the wrong kind of cleaning) can actually be counterproductive. Instead of focusing on the idea of "clean" you need to focus on the idea of maintaining a healthy environment for beneficial bacterial in the tank. If the bacteria are healthy, the animals will be healthy. Read the article that ax linked to and come back with questions

If you tank smells bad, something is wrong. Is there any chance of there being any uneaten food in there? That's bad and could kill the axie.

I'm not familiar with what exact products are available in the UK, but I'd recommend an internal or external waterfall filter. Just be careful to disperse the outflow so it doesn't make a current in the tank. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Filters

Tags
amazon, axolotl, change, filter, plants, quality, sword, water