The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 11th February 2011   #1
STNnexion

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: STNnexion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My axie eating snails?

I have been watching my axie Chansey eating his bloodworms today and he gobbled up two one centimeter snails (the sprial cones pointed ones) forget the name now, but is this ok for him? Hes about 4 inches long juvenile. Are Axolotls able to digest them ok? If anyone has any info on this that be great! thanks.

Last edited by STNnexion; 11th February 2011 at 23:58.
STNnexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: My axie eating snails?

Snail shells are not digestable, and at that size, I would be worried that they might cause impaction.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011   #3
Ed
(ted22)

Nationality:
Rep: ted22 has given consistently good advice and informationted22 has given consistently good advice and informationted22 has given consistently good advice and information

Snails can be a nutritious axie snack, the cone shaped shells might be a worry but they are not entirely undigestable and the shells provide a handy calcium suplement! Just need to ensure the snails are not too big, id say axies would definately come accross snails in the wild and would be a part of a natural axie diet!

ted22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011   #4
peter5930

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: peter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and information

My axolotls snack on the snails in their tanks and haven't had any trouble. The shells are composed primarily of calcium carbonate, which reacts harmlessly with hydrochloric acid in the stomach to produce aqueous (dissolved) calcium chloride, gaseous carbon dioxide and water. As long as they're consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet, I think he'll be ok.

peter5930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011   #5
Ed
(ted22)

Nationality:
Rep: ted22 has given consistently good advice and informationted22 has given consistently good advice and informationted22 has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5930 View Post
My axolotls snack on the snails in their tanks and haven't had any trouble. The shells are composed primarily of calcium carbonate, which reacts harmlessly with hydrochloric acid in the stomach to produce aqueous (dissolved) calcium chloride, gaseous carbon dioxide and water. As long as they're consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet, I think he'll be ok.
Good call dude, have some rep!

Last edited by ted22; 16th February 2011 at 17:39.
ted22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011   #6
Cif

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Cif is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend has an axolotl which eats the snails out of the shells. Quite strange.

Cif is offline   Reply With Quote