The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 22nd August 2011   #1
meerkat

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: meerkat has shown reliable knowledgemeerkat has shown reliable knowledge
Question What color is my axie? Could I have a piebald?

Hi,

I have a lovely white male who has coloration on his head. Does this make him a piebald? Also I purchased a juvenile axie who is a light brown coloration with flex of gold. Is this a harlequin? I am not a fan of the gold coloring, however to have a beautiful mix was one that I could not resist purchasing. I have attached photos to see if I am jumping the gun. I have baby axies at one month old at the moment a mix of the white male pictured here and a black female. So far I have half and half white and dark. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	1906
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	18263   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	18264  

meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011   #2
Leanne
(lea)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: lea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: What color is my axie? Could I have a piebald?

I have no idea if he is a piebald(I dont think he is tho) but he has the cutest freckles on his face.

lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011   #3
Neil C
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and information

Your first axolotl is a leucistic. Sometimes they stay white and othertimes you start seeing dark spots and in extreme cases the whole face become black. Your second axolotl looks very interesting to me. Looks like a leucistic with spots of gold. Could you post a clearere pic if possible? Nice axolotls by the way.

Regards Neil

Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011   #4
meerkat

Nationality:

You will need to rely on the awesome ability of my iphone to take these photos In the right light you will see all the flex of gold around his gills. These colorations also continue down his body. He is so very very pretty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	043.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	18267   Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	18268  

Old 22nd August 2011   #5
Neil C
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and information

Looks like a "copper" with added gold. Very nice and unusual axolotl. I'm assuming the pic taken of him at the top of the page was taken quite a while ago? I''ve got some babies that started off looking like leucistics and then suddenly put on a lot of colour.

Regards Neil

Last edited by Neil C; 22nd August 2011 at 04:53.
Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011   #6
meerkat

Nationality:

I like the idea of a copper/gold color combo. The photos at the top were taken in the morning while he was in the main tank. I then put him in a little tupperware container in order to take a better photo. Tricky thing is that you have to get him in the right light and right angle to see the gold splotches.

I am sure that so many other axie owners here will attest to, that when I was in an aquarium store and saw him and his coloring I could not leave him there in the shop and so he came home with me.

Tags
color, harlequin, piebald