The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 5th August 2014   #1
Emberaria

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Emberaria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Sand Substrate Effects?

Hello! I am new to Axolotl keeping and have myself 2 beautiful babies of my own. I've had them for 1-2 weeks now? At first I was keeping them in a 10Gallon tank with gravel, but like everyone else, I soon enough found them nomming on the rocks (uh oh) So I went online a purchased "CaribSea Super Natural Premium Aquarium Substrate". Got it today and rised it ohh lets say 5 times... in a 5 gallon bucket. I placed it in my aquarium, filled it once more (my Axxies are in a tuperware at that moment). The water is kinda sorta cloudy. This doesnt bother me much until I place my lil guys in their tank and they are sorta flipping out? Swimming all over the place. They had accidentally swallowed some of the sand cause I watched them spit it back out...

So much question is, are they going to be okay? I dont want them stressed and I dont want them to suffocate? Should I put them back in the tuperware until the tank clears out?

Thanks... any advice helps :c

Emberaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014   #2
Cacique

Nationality:
Rep: Cacique has started on the right path
Default Re: New Sand Substrate Effects?

I'm not really sure if the sandy water would freak them out. Just to ask, did you dechlorinate the water when you filled the tank? And have you tested the water parameters? And what is the temperature in the tank?

Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014   #3
Connor

Nationality:
Rep: Connor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Sand Substrate Effects?

Wouldn't think the cloudy water would cause as much of a problem, assuming your parameters are correct it could of been due to the sudden change in temperature ?

Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2014   #4
Boomsloth
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Boomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and information

Check the pH of your normal tap and then the tank and see if it's been drastically changed

Boomsloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, axxies, caribsea, cloudy, sand, super natural, tank