The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Old 10th December 2015   #1
taherman
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Captive bred Gyrinophilus porphyriticus dunni

I had a very exciting (for me) surprise today in my salamander room. This is the first time I have had any breeding success with this genus, though I have heard some in Europe have bred them in the past.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pardon the bigfoot-like quality of the photos. It is an awkward enclosure to take photos in.

I found the remnants of the eggs attached to the underside of a large flat rock. Based on the size of the larvae I suspect they were laid some time over the summer.

I tried for many years unsuccessfully at the Toledo Zoo to reproduce G.p. porphyriticus and G. p. duryi (however I was never certain that I had pairs as identifying the sexes can be a real challenge). I lucked out when herping last fall with a friend and encountered a very probable pair of G.p.dunni with some egg development visible in the female.

Unfortunately I did not find many larvae, fewer than 10. There probably was not a whole lot of food available for them after hatching, or perhaps the adults or siblings cannibalized a few. They immediately started eating black worms when I offered them.

Here is a photo of the male:

-Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015   #2
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Captive bred Gyrinophilus porphyriticus dunni

Congratulations my friend. That's a real accomplishment. I know there are more to come!

Old 10th December 2015   #3
taherman
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

For what its worth, it looked like the female may have eggs in her again when I saw her last week. I assumed they were the same eggs so didn't even think to check thoroughly for larvae. Maybe I'll have some success again next year.

Old 10th December 2015   #4
alex
(alexps)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 4
Rep: alexps is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done do you find it ant easier to sex them now?

alexps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015   #5
Xavier
(Sith the turtle)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 150
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Nice, good work on breeding! I'd say that most of the larvae were cannibalized, I've read that this genus prefers to eat other salamanders, I guess that would include their own kind

Old 21st December 2015   #6
taherman
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexps View Post
Well done do you find it ant easier to sex them now?
In this pair the sexes are only obvious when the eggs are visible. It seems the male may have a slightly larger head relative to the body, though not nearly so pronounced as in Pseudotriton. I will look closely at them the next time I see the adults side by side, and try to note any other differences.