The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 5th February 2019   #1
Fireguy

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Fireguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question PH Discussion

Hey everyone, so I've been seeing lots of discussion on here on how to rise or drop pH levels. I was wondering why people suggest to use stuff like wood or crushed coral when you can simply buy pH Up or pH Down (at least... that's what it's called in Canada) and I'm pretty sure it's made by the same people that make the API test kits. I use it and it has worked very well for me. Is this just a matter of preference as some people want to try and keep the tank the most natural as possible with the least amount of chemicals?

Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: PH Discussion

The reason we usually suggest staying away from the bottled pH up/down is because axolotl skin is sensitive and can absorb whatever you're putting in the tank. Using wood or crushed coral is also more stable than adding the chemicals.
Hope this helps! Would love to hear other people's points.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019   #3
Acacia

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Acacia has started on the right path

Yep, most people stay away from bottled products due to the fact that they change ph levels too quickly. Though I haven't seen much about the actual optimum pH for an axolotl? They seem pretty tolerant of high pH, at least- I live in Chicago where the water has a pH of 8.0 and they seem fine- then again, I've only owned axolotls that I have hatched myself and lived in 8.0 pH water for their whole lives.
I'm curious to see others' experiences with axolotls and pH as well!

Acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yeah as far as I know they can tolerate quite a range of pH. I had added an indian almond leaf to help with a skin condition and my pH dropped really quickly. It is usually 7.4-7.6 but had dropped to below 6.5 so I had to add crushed coral to counteract. It's stable now, though only some remnants of the leaf are left.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
api, axolotls, discussion, ph level, test kits