The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 5th September 2019   #1
13kayrose

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: 13kayrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What to feed blackworms?

Iím not sure if this is the perfect place to post this as Iím new to the site, so sorry if it isnít :)

Currently raising a juvenile axolotl (9 weeks old) and was feeding him frozen bloodworm, however he started to show signs of being constipated so Iíve started giving him live blackworm instead. Iím aware of how to keep blackworm, but what Iím unsure of is what to feed them.

This might sound stupid but I read to feed them vegetable scraps, but I wondered if I feed the blackworms vegetable scraps, could this effect my axolotl when I feed him?

Sorry if this is ridiculous, I just thought Iíd check with the experts :)

13kayrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019   #2
Murk

Nationality:
Rep: Murk has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: What to feed blackworms?

I've never done blackworms, but reading about it it seems to be the same as basically any other detritus feeder, which I do have experience with.
These creatures all eat food that has broken down (or is in the process of breaking down) to very small particles. They eat the old, gross, pulverized stuff. When food has broken down to that small a level, there honestly isn't that much of a difference between plant or animal matter: it's all dirty goop at that point. Once it has passed through a worm's stomach and is used to build worm muscles the difference is gone completely.
So no, the food you give your blackworms will not matter to your axolotls.
[Disclaimer: of course it can matter: if you give your blackworms toxins or specialized vitamin food that will have an effect on the axolotls - but I doubt you were planning on doing that].

It might matter to the blackworms, though. I'm sure they prefer some foods to others - I don't know enough about them to give an opinion on that. The internet's advice ranges from paper and fish flakes to boiled zucchini, which all seem fine. These are creatures that would happily slobber dirt, so as long as they reproduce and grow, they'll be fine. And your axolotls as well.

Murk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019   #3
13kayrose

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I've never done blackworms, but reading about it it seems to be the same as basically any other detritus feeder, which I do have experience with.
These creatures all eat food that has broken down (or is in the process of breaking down) to very small particles. They eat the old, gross, pulverized stuff. When food has broken down to that small a level, there honestly isn't that much of a difference between plant or animal matter: it's all dirty goop at that point. Once it has passed through a worm's stomach and is used to build worm muscles the difference is gone completely.
So no, the food you give your blackworms will not matter to your axolotls.
[Disclaimer: of course it can matter: if you give your blackworms toxins or specialized vitamin food that will have an effect on the axolotls - but I doubt you were planning on doing that].

It might matter to the blackworms, though. I'm sure they prefer some foods to others - I don't know enough about them to give an opinion on that. The internet's advice ranges from paper and fish flakes to boiled zucchini, which all seem fine. These are creatures that would happily slobber dirt, so as long as they reproduce and grow, they'll be fine. And your axolotls as well.
Okay great, thanks so much!

Old 6th September 2019   #4
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I spoke with a professional blackworm breed last month. He told me he feeds them raw paper.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019   #5
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

A few years ago I got 10 and I started off feeding mine paper towels, then got fed up with nurturing them and chucked them into an outdoor tub and basically forgot about them. A few months ago, having more or less forgotten them, iI looked in and there were hundreds. They had been eating the fallen holly leaves. Once the leaves had started decaying they got inside the leaf and munched away.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019   #6
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
I spoke with a professional blackworm breed last month. He told me he feeds them raw paper.
What's "raw paper"? Wood?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019   #7
13kayrose

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabelloo View Post
A few years ago I got 10 and I started off feeding mine paper towels, then got fed up with nurturing them and chucked them into an outdoor tub and basically forgot about them. A few months ago, having more or less forgotten them, iI looked in and there were hundreds. They had been eating the fallen holly leaves. Once the leaves had started decaying they got inside the leaf and munched away.
Wow! Thatís crazy.

Tags
axolotl, blackworms