The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

View Poll Results: What species?

Ambystoma maculatum 14 43.75%
Ambystoma talpoideum 18 56.25%
Ambystoma mabeei 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th February 2009   #1
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Ambystoma talpoideum?

Last week I received some eggs from South Carolina that were identified by the seller as Ambystoma talpoideum. He was quite helpful and told me that he is not an expert on salamanders but that he could tell these were distinctly different from Ambystoma maculatum eggs he found in the same area. Photo 1 is of these egg sacks. Petranka (based mainly on Semlitsch's papers) says that Atlantic Coast populations of A. talpoideum lay eggs singly, although I've found slightly contradictory notes in one of Semlitsch's papers. Also, Petranka states that two researchers identified some egg masses they found in South Carolina as being A. talpoideum, but Petranka says that these are "more than likely" A. tigrinum. The seller of the eggs believed there are only Spotted and Mole salamanders in the area where these were collected.

Photo 2 is a 1 day old hatchling from these eggs. I've included a scale and quotes from Petranka describing the hatchlings of the possible contenders (with the exception of A. tigrinum, which I think we can rule out).

Opinions? Any experts? Obviously I'd like them to be talpoideum but we don't always get what we want .

Just to clarify, the contenders are Ambystoma maculatum, Ambystoma talpoideum and Ambystoma mabeei. Descriptions from Petranka of the hatchling larvae of these three species are included in photo 2 (click it to enlarge to readable size). If your window is too small, the text in the larva photo may not be legible - in this case when you have clicked the thumbnail image to enlarge it, right click (on a PC) and select open in new window or new tab and it should help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ID-me-please.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	5552   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1301---ID-the-larva.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	5553  

Old 25th February 2009   #2
John
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Ambystoma talpoideum?

I've added a poll to this thread.

Old 25th February 2009   #3
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Ok my vote goes to talpoideum. The size of the larvae fits, the size of the egg masses fit, the coloration fits, and the range fits. But thats just my $.02 worth.

Later,
Justin

Old 3rd March 2009   #4
John
Founder

Nationality:

They're maculatum - they've got those black tail tips.

Old 3rd March 2009   #5
Alex Shepack
(tylototriton)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

My vote went to talpoideum, but i'll side with you John since you're actually able to look at them. Post some more pics as they get larger.

Alex

Old 26th April 2009   #6
taherman
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yeah, those maculatum egg masses are pretty distinctive...

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009   #7
Dylan
(firesalamander)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: firesalamander has started on the right path

I think i know the person you got them from.

firesalamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009   #8
John
Founder

Nationality:

It was "Mark Thames" and I got them in response to an advert on kingsnake (that'll teach me - last time I order from a kingsnake vendor).

Old 23rd October 2009   #9
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I like to Google the names of Kingsnake vendors before I purchase from them. You'd be surprised what pops up when you Google those guys selling all of the w.c. stuff.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009   #10
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
You'd be surprised what pops up when you Google those guys selling all of the w.c. stuff.
True, but there are also some pretty grimey people on there selling c.b. animals too. It's basically an online exotic meat market.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010   #11
Orange Juice

Nationality:
Rep: Orange Juice is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Ambystoma talpoideum?

I may not be of great reputation, but I recently got some Ambystoma maculatum And those eggs look Quite similar in the way they were developing, of course mine were tinted green from Pediastrum Boryanum, but that is exactly how I got them, a little while ago now, as they are really close to hatching. But then again I haven't really looked at any others... My guess is the Spotted Salamander.
Could you get some more pictures up of them developing?
Thanks,
Orange Juice

Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011   #12
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

OJ, this thread is almost 2 years old. Those animals have long-since gone through metamorphosis.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ambystoma, talpoideum, talpoideum?