The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 14th December 2010   #1
elsasabo

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: elsasabo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please advise

t Hi there , i have two axolotles , a wild coloured one and a pink.My wild coloured one is quite big , healthy looking and seems to be fine , hes called cesar ;l, where as the pink one , millan, has always been alot smaller .One of my main concerns is that she seems to struggle getting to the top to breath air , its as if she cant make it, she arches her back and rocks , she eventually gets there but it worries me .Has anyone else experienced this , id be grateful for any advice Carole

elsasabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010   #2
Goobs

Nationality:
Rep: Goobs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please advice

Have you got gravel on the bottom of the tank???

Goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010   #3
Eric
(Shizeric)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Can you provide a picture of you tank setup so we can help determine if there are any problems that may causing the symptoms you described?

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010   #4
elsasabo

Nationality:

Hi yes i do have gravel on the bottom of the tank, I cant send a pic of tank set up, but the tank is three foot by one and a half foot, i have it half filled with water , they have plant pots for cover and artificial grass on one side, there a filter which only flows gently , they are fed bloodworm. I was advised not to have a light as it frightens them xx

Old 14th December 2010   #5
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Have you always fed bloodworms? They're low in calcium. I suggest adding earthworms to their diet so they get some calcium.

Axolotls are inherently lazy. Sometimes they start for the surface, then kind of give up and sink a little, and then give a big push to gulp air.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010   #6
Goobs

Nationality:
Rep: Goobs is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the gravel small enough to fit in the axie's mouth? If they're eating bloodworm from the bottom they could be sucking in gravel.

Goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010   #7
elsasabo

Nationality:
Default Re: Please advise

Thank you for your advice , i wil certainly get some earthworms for them ,, unfortunatly i do think the gravel is to small, i wil clear the tank this weekend and get them some sand x

Old 15th December 2010   #8
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Please advise

Good idea!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote