The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 24th May 2011   #1
st92

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: st92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Is floating normal?

Recently I've noticed one of my axies tends to float at the top of the water every so often for a short period of time, is this normal or should I be worried? Help please

st92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011   #2
~~Eddie~~
(Mr Poseidon)

Nationality:
Rep: Mr Poseidon has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Is floating normal?

I dont know but i was worried about my guy too but after a day or two he started to spend more of his time at the bottem!

Old 25th May 2011   #3
larn

Nationality:
Rep: larn is an unknown quantity at this point

occasional floating is normal, especially in young axolotls, but if he is doing this over and over again there is a problem, he basically has an upset stomach and could be finding it difficult to do his business.

The best thing to do is put him into a shallow container so he can touch the floor, leave him in there somewhere quiet and dark where no one will disturb him, this is so he won't be stressed. The more relaxed he is the better. once you see he has made a mess in the container he should be ok. If he doesn't you can try rubbing gently on his belly, (just make sure your hands are clean)

I had this same problem last week, i put mine into a shallow container and 2 hours later he was fine.

Last edited by larn; 25th May 2011 at 04:03.
larn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011   #4
Anubis

Nationality:
Rep: Anubis has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

I have to agree with Iarn. Also, my ~5 month old axolotl likes to float a lot. No signs of stress, nothing wrong with the conditions of the Tupperware container that's his temporary home (I change the water every day to every other day depending on how much of a mess he makes), he just does it especially when he's looking for me . I've also noticed that he floats a lot more when he hasn't eaten in about a day or two. Is there a correlation between lack of food and your axolotl floating?

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote